• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Massive rear brakes - update on GB

Lee

So, again I am a bit late (hey, what is waiting another week for a custom project) but everything goes as planned. It got delayed as I have been working on other kits (Massive e24-e28 front kit with 13" x 1.25" discs as well as a cheaper version for the e30 M3 kit with Superlite calipers instead of the SL6R), this one got slightly delayed.

So, here is what the 2002 rear kit is. BTW it also fits e21s.

Rotors

11.75" x 0.81" UL vented rotors - Cost around $35usd each - Up from VW's solid 9" - Offers better cooling - 15" wheels required

Caliper

NDL or Forged Superlite - (interchangeable - NDL has more clearance - Superlite is stiffer) - NDL costs around $110usd while Superlite is $130usd - NDL uses smaller pads. Front calipers with 1.75" pistons required for both rear NDL and Superlite.

Superlite caliper - Uses 1.12" pistons

fsl_big.jpg

Billet NDL - recommended for added clearance (5mm on each face, and more radial clearance) and larger piston size selection (down to 1" pistons).

bndlc_big.jpg

Hats

As with the front kit, hats are aluminum and anodized.

Custom 1/8NPT to Metric DOT compliant braided brakelines

They now come automatically with the kit. I will stop using adapters from now on.

Wheel clearance

The hats are not as deep as the front hats (1" less) but I have done my best to offer as much wheel clearance as possible. The hats even go over the 3/8" stainless steel brackets, while mounting holes are now threaded, easing the mounting process. Photos of those gorgious brackets will be posted in a few days. I am working in collaboration with Henry Hsu for those of you with rear coil-overs.

Emergency brake

The kit is a full race item and there is no provision for e-brake in this particular kit. But it will be easy for the owner to install a spot caliper for a mechanically operated emergency brake with the optional bracket. Two holes and a shim will need to be done by the buyer.

Rear hub

Stock rear hub will be used and unlike with the rear VW conversion, machining will not be required. The hub stays there.

Pricing

The installation kit (hats, brackets, fasteners, lines) is $550usd + $35 .

shipping.

Colours

As with the front kits, silver and gold anodizing are offered

How to get a kit?

I am starting taking reservations for the kit today, due for delivery in 3 weeks (mid February).

Payment for $550usd + $35usd shipping by Paypal at l.vuong@sympatico.ca

Shipping to Europe is $105usd

Partial payments are accepted upon reservation, but no delivery before full payment. Changing your mind after reservation? No problem. You will get your money back less 15% restocking fee.

Please add your name in a list. I will most likely end the GB early next week as I need to know how many hats to make. I will perhaps make two extra sets.

Thanks everyone.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice lee. how will balance be with the front massive kit? will a valve be needed? i have my vw set already on but im tempted to sell it and get this. if i can find a buyer i may do this if i dont need a proportioning valve

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

With calipers that have 1" pistons and use smaller pads (Billet NDL), you should not need a bias valve. But all racers using their car to 100% will install one. 1.75" front and 1" rear pistons means 300% hydraulic torque bias to the front, smaller pads also push the friction bias even more to the front.

The rear VW conversion is already a great match with the front 1.75" calipers. This is what my racecar has, but I lack pedal feel and the rear VW discs are always turning to blue on 2000lbs car with 160HP...

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Hi Moe.

If my memory serves me well, you got a front kit two or three years ago. Was it for 2002 or Tii struts? If it was for 2002 strut (you had the aluminum brackets), I will update them for free with the newer stainless steel ones as from the last shipment and would include them in your rear shipment.

2002Bracket.jpg

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Next one... I hope :-)

Todd

Hey Todd, did you get my email this morning? I shipped you another kit even though I received no confirmation from the Aussi Postal Services that the first got lost. You shall get it in 4 to 7 days.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Lee,

Will the caliper position be forward or aft mounting?Also,do you know if the existing Ebrake cables can be used for the spot caliper,or do you need to source new cables?

Hi Skelatons. The caliper is mounted at the back of the wheel and will be close to vertically mounted. From what I tried, it will be possible to mount the ebrake caliper at 6 o'clock and will not require a different brake cable as it will be at the stock location. The main caliper's adapting bracket is 3/8" stainless steel with threaded holes for the caliper. The two 10mm holes to fasten the bracket to the trailing arm are sloted, allowing 1.5mm play left to right. This way, every make of brake pad can be perfectly adjusted to follow the contour of the disc. Not all pads are designed the same way.

The two forward 10mm holes will be used for the optional ebrake bracket. This is the non-compromise solution that will not affect those who want a race kit, and those who want the street kit.

Lee

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.