• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

any FAQers near Chicago?

MitchellB

Hello,

I'm fairly new to this FAQ forum and have been scowering the Northwest for a decent pre-74 2002 for quite some time. I almost bought a '71 2002 but the owner got cold feet and so I'm still searching for the right car. I live in Portland and occasionally I check out the ebay auctions but haven't bid on anything. Recently I noticed a decent looking '72 2002 in the chicago area. the item number is 120057687754 if anyone's interested. I've had a couple of conversations with the seller and he's given me a buy it now price which seems very reasonable. However, my instincts as well as those of a good friend and my father are telling me that this his auction is a complete scam. Guess I'm wondering if there's anyone in the Chicago area that wouldn't mind looking at the car to see if it even exists. Thanks in advance to anyone that's up for the challenge. I would be eternally grateful!

thanks eastsidebimmer. the item was listed with 15 other 2002's and was there about an hour ago. the auction was supposed to end tomorrow and the guy hadn't gotten one bid. from the pics the car looked very promising - immaculate interior, new alpine green mirror finish, new suspension, detailed engine compartment...guess it was too good to be true.

....there's a 1967 BMW 1600 for sale in the Portland Craigslist ads.

Its been for sale for awhile. Not too expensive. I got a good feeling about the car after talking to the seller. In fact, I'd buy it if I wanted to take on another project.

Might be worth checking out....

being a 67, it would have the very cool chromed dash strip.

Jerry

Jerry Curry

Salem, OR

-------------

Jerry,

Thanks for the heads up on the '68 1602. I've been primarily looking at pre '74 roundies and have tried to stay away from a major project-type car mostly because i've been focused on family and home improvement and don't know whether i have time for an ongoing project. however, i've contacted the seller to have a closer look and to see just what sort of project car this might turn out to be. it is comforting to know, however, that there's an endless supply of support available at virtually any moment from the 2002 faq members.

mitch

Jerry,

Thanks for the heads up. I'm usually all over craigslist but didn't have time to open it up today. I'll probably get in touch with the owner and have a look at it this weekend. By the way, I spoke with James regarding the 1602. It sounds like a decent car with plenty of spare parts although he hasn't started it up in a few years. He sent the bumpers off to be re-chromed a while back but the company went belly up and never returned his bumpers.

Mitch