• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical problem - Battery related?

jaystainbrook

'76 - Car is running great, starts without problem, Alt belt is tight and battery is new BUT accessories barely work. Lights are dim and wipers can barely make one swipe. What could be causing this? One thing, the connectors on the ends of the battery cables that attach to the battery terminals are a kind I've never seen before. No exposed metal, just a kind of rubber/plastic. Is that the problem? Any advice appreciated!

Use a voltmeter to measure the voltage drop between the battery positive post and other parts of the electrical system. It should be a few tenths of a volt, max. When you see a higher reading, go upstream toward the battery until you find the bad connection.

Sounds like the battery cables are not stock. Verify that the battery negative cable has two legs -- a fatter one that goes to the engine block, and a skinnier one that goes to the body.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

'76 - Car is running great, starts without problem, Alt belt is tight and battery is new BUT accessories barely work. Lights are dim and wipers can barely make one swipe. What could be causing this? One thing, the connectors on the ends of the battery cables that attach to the battery terminals are a kind I've never seen before. No exposed metal, just a kind of rubber/plastic. Is that the problem? Any advice appreciated!

Car would not run if the battery was not touching the terminals. How is the starter? Will it spin nicely? How are your ground straps? I replaced mine about a year ago and just two weeks ago I realized that the return spring for the carb (between linkage and firewall) was very hot.... it was replacing the ground strap that had come loose. Start there... a dead battery won't turn the starter. If it turns the starter you should be OK on the lights, wipers, etc.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76