• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition switch issues?

Simon

'74 automatic, stock (points and all)

Periodically, like once a week, when I turn the key in the ignition the starter moter fails to start, yet the powered instruments on the dash power up. If I put the car in neutral and roll 6", and put it back in park, it starts fine. Furthermore, periodically, the key doesnt work, like the steering lock is on (possibly related).

Given that the instruments power up, I'm assuming that the problem lies with the switched power to the starter. I've looked through the big manual (BMW) and I can't seem to see where or if there is an ignition relay. Failing that, perhaps the problem lies with the ignition switch on the steering column.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Thanks for any input,

Simon

1974 Sahara '02, DD

Guest Anonymous

- but your starting problem is similar to what I've seen on these cars before the starter fails. In my case the starter got worse over a period of months until I had it rebuilt. Has worked fine since.

Have you lubed your ignition switch? That might improve the lock-up problem.

You might check the starter inhibitor switch. Will be mounted on the tranny or shift linkage. Supposed to keep one from starting the car in gear. They wear out...some can be adjusted.

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Thanks for the info.

I did a search under "starter inhibitor switch" thanks to your suggestion. An archived thread suggested that my symptoms may be caused by not being fully in park, which wouldn't suprise me as there is a little play in the shift lever. I'll try that avenue of experimentation first.

Simon

1974 Sahara '02, DD

I've never plauyed with the starter mechanism in my 2002 but m fiat had exactly the same issue. I had problems with my starter solinoid (sp?).. next time the car won't start give the solinoid a few taps with a hammer to free the mechanism and see if it starts.

'Old Blu' the 1974 fjord BMW 2002.

"your my boy blu!"