• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAJOR OIL LEAK!!!!

backtrail69

Isaac,

Take a step back, take a deep breath, calm down all is not lost. Most likely as others have suggested you have an oil pressure regulator problem.

This means that either the oil pressure regulator is stuck or assembled incorrectly. If you did not assemble the oil pump to the regulator piston/spring assembly correctly, the piston will bottom out on the tube and not allow the oil pump to relieve pressure.

I have seen this done and it basically will blow the filter o-ring out every time upon startup. The febi pumps aren't necesarily bad, as long as you make sure there are no machining chips and trash in them before installation (mine looked like crap when I opened it up from the box)

Take a look at this page http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=ST12&mospid=47140&btnr=11_2582&hg=11&fg=30

And make sure you inserted part #10 the correct way. When the pump is assembled correctly the long part of the tube of #10 should protrude out the bottom of the oilpump. If it is put in the opposite way this will cause the problem you have (don't ask how I know this).

If this is not the case, then the piston in the oil pressure relief valve (#8) is sticking in it's bore. Make sure that the cross drilled passages do not have any machining flash left on them that could bind up this piston.

I hope this helps you out. Most likely you are going to need to drop the oilpan and take the pump out for inspection.

Goodluck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Bernard