• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is some degree of blow-by just normal?

Grover

A while back I was burning oil pretty quickly and seeing puffs of smoke out of the back quite regularly. A leak-down test showed the piston rings were perfect but that I had leaking going on in the valve stems. So, I recently rebuilt a head and put it on there. During a drive today I noticed some smoke coming out the rear after sitting at a stoplight for a minute or so. Out of curiosity I then found an open stretch of road and took the car up to about 5,500 rpm, let off the gas for a couple of seconds, and then reaccelerated. Sure enough, a pretty sizeable puff of smoke burst out the tail pipe. Is this "normal" or indicative of something more concerning?

Seals should keep the oil out but if the guides/valves have too much play that could be an issue. Did you measure everything up?

Give it 500 miles and re-check. There is still a break in period where you'll burn some oil before things seat up for the long haul....

good luck

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76