• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One more question reguarding headwork

I think the author was looking at how much material removal is too much. Given the age of these machines, chances are the head has already been skimmed somewhat. I would only take off what is necessary to clean up the head, and look for higher comp pistons to make up the shortfall. There is a dimension available of std head thickness, but I don't remember it at this point.

It is all a compromise over use,money, fuel used, induction, camshaft and what you expect in the end. 9.5 to 1 should be good with a mild cam, and a 2bbl carb and intake manifold upgrade.

I ran 11.5 to 1, with lumpy pistons, big cam, 45DCOES and Avgas, but I would not recommend this for everyday use

'73 BMW 2002Tii,'89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo,'56 Renault 4CV with 16 TS motor, 

'76 BMW R90S, '68 BMW R60/2, '51 BMW R51/3, '38 BMW R71

Ipswich, Australia.

Guest Anonymous

Full thickness is 5.080" plus or minus about .002". I think the factory spec is 5.055" as a minimum. Below the min. you can use the extra thick head gasket which is about .012" thicker than standard. Reducing the head thickness raises compression but also changes cam timing. It's not a good idea to cut the head to get compression. Clean the head only to get a good straight surface.