• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head Work

Im going to need some head work done. Im looking for a place in the phill area. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Andrew

1974 Cinnabar M2: S14/320CR/391LSD/Turbo Exhaust/Turbo Radiator/323 Trailing Arms/Ground Control Coilovers

Don't know of a shop in Philly but if you want to save some money you can easily break down the head with common tools, which may save you $$$.

The only specialty tool you need is some steel rod stock from Home Depot to push the intake/exhaust rocker shafts out... about 22 inches long.

.. and a good pick to remove the rocker clips, make sure you remove all the clips before you tap the shafts out.

I also use a large C-clamp and a oxygen sensor socket to remove the valve springs. Just put the C-clamp on the base of the valve and the oxygen sensor socket over the top of the valve spring and start tightening... as soon as you compress it enough use a magnet to retrieve the valve retainers (2) out... One trick to putting them back on is to put grease on the inside of the retainer and when you place it on the valve it 'sticks' in place long enough to decompress the spring.

Real mechanics may think I'm nuts doing it this way.. but it works for me :)

Basically you'll have a bare head now with only the valve guides in the head (I don't mess with the removal and install of these)

Robert

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

Or you could ship it off to someone like Eric Kerman in Long Island for a full port job and new cam and valve job. His prices are reasonable for the kind of work he does.

I think his e-mail is ETK@aol.com

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Or you could ship it off to someone like Eric Kerman in Long Island for a full port job and new cam and valve job. His prices are reasonable for the kind of work he does.

I think his e-mail is ETK@aol.com

John

Cool option as well...

From reading some previous posts is porting the intake side of these heads worth it? I think a thread stated that these heads already had a good sized intake port area and that correcting one angle in the design was the way to go... but Eric probably knows and does that.

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

Yes. porting the intake is something only for someone that has a lot of experience with these heads. I mean, you can clean up the area around the valve seats and valve guids if you know what your doing and make some improvments. If you get a hillbilly to port and polish your head you can do more harm than good. These ports are huge and it's the small things that make the difference. Now if you go with a big cam like a 304, there are gains with even bigger ports. Eric Kerman can tell you a lot more and recomend what cam to use for your kind of driving.

John

post-70-13667567263834_thumb.jpg

post-70-13667567265266_thumb.jpg

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades