• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

crank friction during assembly

PorpShow

Look at the rod caps for the shadow (from years of use) of the bearing notch on the flat mating surface, I think they go on opposite each other, and the main caps dont.

Are you sure the rod bearing is the correct size, STD stamp on them for standard journal diameter. A .010 thicker bearing on a standard crank wont turn easy at all.

Chris

They better be standard, thats what I thought I ordered .....

yet I dont honestly think I checked the actuall bearing for stamp !

that was one of the only problems I was thinking it could be , ....

besides the orientation or the Big Ends / bearings

In the haynes manual it says the numbers should match up , and be ledgible on the right , from the front of the engine.....

I am thinking this would put the bearing notches on the same side of each big-end ....

sound right to anyone , or not ...

well with the plastigauge there wouldnt be any clearance ...

which way do the rod caps/ bearings go .....

with the locking notch on the same side or the opposite side ???

exactly- no or uneven clearance on the mismatched caps. the ones that have clearance would be correct.

It would seem that the clearance is nil for each big-end ....

after each one I torqued , crank wouldnt move. yes, I think I got one to tightly spin, but any two , no way

I am screwed :(

just like me to eff up somethin so simple ....

I could have marked or recorded things like this from the begining , but noooooo

Well I'd just pull everything and take it down to a machine shop and mix match and measure the big ends till I got it all figured out right. While your at it you might as measure everything else and check the specs- cheap insurance. Look on the bright side- you'll never have this problem again.

well I was running a glass blowing department at a state university but I quit so my wife could take a job that she really wanted in another prefecture. Now I'm building my own glass studio and raising our 1 year old. I've been here for 5 years now. And I just have to say that the best 2002 roads i've ever driven are here. I just finished a 3.5 hour drive thru the nearby mountains. It's almost 2am- time for bed. Good luck with getting it all back together!

Hmmm glass blowing business ehhh...?!???

Sounds good , good luck with it , man ...

start up a web site ! !

I know of many items , in glass that can only be bought for an absurd amounts of money, since there are only so few around ...

Sounds like a nice and interesting place there

I took the whole thing to the machine shop .....

and it appears to me there is a mix up with the rod end orientation , as in, the side the notch bearing and or numbered side goes....

I am gonna start a new thread, because I am looking for a few opinions ...... check it out !