• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

320i alternator upgrade, do I need ext. voltage regulator

Hey fellow enthusiasts I found lots of info in here. But it was too much searching, and no pictures of that regulator

I think its that little box up front with the yellow tape wrapped around it.

Can someone tell me If I can get rid of the regulator altogether after getting my current 65 amp 320i one. I think the regulator has the light blue wiring and a black ground for the warning light on the dash right. ???? do I need this warning light?

I get lost in all the wiring and things

My car is a 75', so I got rid of all that smog crap too. thank heavens, about

100 lbs. light does she feel....slims down nicely.

Best,

Moonman

1975 malaga '02

, 38/38 weber,close ratio steering box w/ urethane bush. 320iradiator,recaro,momo ,14" 320i rims

tii ex.manifold,ansa exh. H+R spr. bilstein....on..and on..

Hey fellow enthusiasts I found lots of info in here. But it was too much searching, and no pictures of that regulator

I think its that little box up front with the yellow tape wrapped around it.

Can someone tell me If I can get rid of the regulator altogether after getting my current 65 amp 320i one. I think the regulator has the light blue wiring and a black ground for the warning light on the dash right. ???? do I need this warning light?

I get lost in all the wiring and things

My car is a 75', so I got rid of all that smog crap too. thank heavens, about

100 lbs. light does she feel....slims down nicely.

Best,

Moonman

The voltage regulator is the yellow taped aluminum box. I replace my alternator with a older 5 series which did not need the external regulator... I'm not 100% sure about the 320 but most likely it's internal and you don't need the external one...

Someone will chime in soon I hope.

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

what about the light blue wires leading to the warning light on the dash

Moonman

1975 malaga '02

, 38/38 weber,close ratio steering box w/ urethane bush. 320iradiator,recaro,momo ,14" 320i rims

tii ex.manifold,ansa exh. H+R spr. bilstein....on..and on..