• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

replacing stock mechanical fuel pump with electric pump

Hey does any one have this set-up in their car.

I wanted to know what the pros and cons are.

Does I need a fuel pressure regulator?

Can you hear the pump operate?

Will I need to mount this in the trunk area?

You guys are great for any info.

Best,

MZ420

1975 malaga '02

, 38/38 weber,close ratio steering box w/ urethane bush. 320iradiator,recaro,momo ,14" 320i rims

tii ex.manifold,ansa exh. H+R spr. bilstein....on..and on..

• Administrators

The pump should be mounted as close to the fuel tank as possible. They are a bit loud and you do need pressure regulator and a gauge to set proper pressure. The good thing is that the pump primes the carbs before you crank over the engine.

Pump in the trunk:

http://www.kgb-racing.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=29&g2_itemId=393

Regulator with a gauge:

http://www.kgb-racing.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=29&g2_itemId=336

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Guest Anonymous

Highly recommended, depending on the setup. My dual Webs simply would not consistently restart with the mechanical pump -- very frustrating -- but now there is no problem whatsoever. I have a relay on it, so that I can turn on the ignition switch without the pump turning on -- otherwise, if you sit with the car in the "on" position without turning over the engine, you'll overheat your pump. I recommend the relay. And yes, you can hear the pump, and they are loud.

Yes they work well but are Loud if you don't mount them correctly. Another con, reliability (they do fail) probably more so than mechanical... and also for safety... if not wired correctly or if you don't include an emergency cut off valve or switch.. the pump could remain on after an accident, not good.

I have switched back to mechanical but it's your call, it's always a fun project and you can always reverse it pretty quick.

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

To me, an electric pump is extra complexity that's not necessary with a downdraft carb. Sounds cool, but not necessary in a lot of applications

As sort of mentioned, if you go electric, put an inertia switrch on for safety. BTW, that reminds me, do tii's have a safety switch?

My '76 still has it's original mechanical pump working fine, unless I just jinxed it.

'76 2002 (Sold)

2002 Subaru WRX Wagon (at least it's a 2002)

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO GUYS. I'M JUST DOING MY USUAL RESEARCH FOR THE DAY. i HAVE TO PUT OUT THOSE FEELERS.

MZ420

1975 malaga '02

, 38/38 weber,close ratio steering box w/ urethane bush. 320iradiator,recaro,momo ,14" 320i rims

tii ex.manifold,ansa exh. H+R spr. bilstein....on..and on..

If you're running a down draft carb such as a Weber 32/36 or the OEM Solex you don't need an electric pump..there is no need for it. The mechanical pump is simple and will last for ever. With side drafts or injection you will probabably need to go to an electric pump though, because of the increase in fuel and fuel pressure you will need with those systems.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT