• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel size questions...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello all,

Am I the only one who sees no benefit in upgrading wheels on our 02's?

on my 76 I put some 14x6 bottlecaps with 195/65/14 tires and all they did was rub AND made my steering really hard and tight. Granted my car is lowered but I don't think it should've felt so hard to steer. I finally put back on some 13" steelies and the car steers smoothly again although now my steering wheel is off center as I drive and I don't need an alignment. It's probably bad wear on the tires....

A similar thing happened on my 72 when I swapped wheels so it's not just my 76. Do all of you who upgrade wheels have to deal with stiffer steering or is it just my cars? What about camber? going up to a 15" from a 13" has to affect the degrees in camber, right?

I have a brand new set of 15" mesh wheels in the box that i planned on putting on my 72 when I'm done with it, but now I'm not so sure I want to do that.

what do you guys think?

Guest Anonymous

Unless you usually drive like a maniac, I think the most significant benefit of bigger tires is at the track. 13"s with fat tires give me plenty of stickum and easier turning at low sppeds. Of course, you may have no choice if you have big brakes, and we could debate the aesthetics endlessly...

Guest Anonymous

A huge part of not has to do with the rim size, but the actual tire selection. I went from 13's to 14's to 15's and the steering got better each time. When i went to the 15's with Yoko AVSi's i could PALM the steering wheel almost at park. This was also with a little tiny MOMO steering wheel too. I have noticed that with crappy tires, the steering is harder. As you move into a softer compound tire (performance), the steering gets easier. I am not quite sure why, maybe somebody can explain.

The other reason to upgrade rim size is BECAUSE of tire choice. Performance tires for 13 and 14s are really dying out. With 15's you can at least get some great tires for fairly cheap. I got my set of Michilen Pilet SX GTs for $56 a piece from Tire Rack not too long ago.

Trent T.

71 Sahara with 15s

89 e30m50 with 15s with Kumho Victoracers

Guest Anonymous

....I totally agree w/Trent. It really depends a lot on the tire. My fifteen inch P700s, which in fact I don't really care for(stick w/the Yoks or Pilots), steer just a little heavier than my 13 inch P300s. I had a 76 w/ Goodyear 15 inch tires and it steered like a tank-really bad. I had a 73 w/ 14 inch tires and it was about like my 15 inch Pirellis. If you enjoy spirited driving the size upgrade is a no brainer-it makes a HUGE difference (not talking as compared to racing 13 inchers ala Hoosier) without a big penalty. By contrast, adding Bilstein Sports will make a noticeable difference in the handling dept. but many feel the harsh ride is not worth it. If you just "drive around" and handling or big wheel asthetics isn't a player stick w/the 13s. Non-performance 13s are readily available and cheap. But, as Trent had noted, if you want performance rubber, there is a huge variety of 15 inch rubber available but 13 inch performance rubber is scarce and pricey. So many decisions, so little time.

Guest Anonymous

We have 15x6" wheels on one of our 02s with 33mm offset. There is NO rubbing or problems with steering effort. Steering effort feels just like stock 02 wheels & tires.

And if you want a good selection of brands and types of performance tires to choose from, there's hardly anything around in 13" anymore. There's more available in 14", but the tire market has moved to 15" (and larger) size tires for performance versions.

One of the main reasons I'd stay with 13" is that they are period correct. But for performance and handling, I'd go for 15". There's some good wheels out there, like the VW BBS ones.

Gil

72 Tii

Guest Anonymous

Now, here's my ass' point of view:

Fact is, the less speed one carries, the less one needs. I drive with a lot of corner speed, and I do see the benefits of a sticky, wide tire.The wide tire is harder to low speed steer b/c of more contact patch. With Trent's low profile tire though, there's less sidewall flex and that's what make his car seem to steer easier. My 20s/60/13 AVS tire is a bitch to steer at parking speeds. A narrower 13" tire will only make it lighter to steer.

ciao

Guest Anonymous

One thing that really effects steering effort is "scrub radius". When you change to wheels with significantly less offset, the tire's contact patch is shifted outward while the pivot point stays put:

___+____

_____+__ (lower figure illustrates increased scrub radius)

You asked if larger diameter wheels changed camber? It does not.

Small wheels, tires (& brakes!) are lighter, which allows for quicker accell & decell.

SCCA IT rules say that 2002's must use stock diameter 13" wheels & stock brakes, which actually can work pretty well. Race tires are available in 13". For racecars, the extra track from low offset wheels is worth the higher effort, and due to having much more negative camber than a street car, the tires have more room. If you want more tire, Hoosier now sells 225/45/13 race tires.

That said, I run bigger brakes & wheels on my street car! // John

Guest Anonymous

razor-sharp turn-in response, awesome grip and extremely forgiving breakaway characteristics. Tires are Kuhmo Ecsta Supra somethingorothers. the bottom line is that less sidewall flex=more stable contact patch = better handling. On my jetta I have 205/15 michellin pilots on 6.5" wide wheels. Wouldnt have less than 50 series on ANY car I own/drive in anger.... ;)

-Rob