• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I guess the master cylinder is next.....

Lars

Over the weekend I bled the brakes using my new pressure bleeder and got all the air bubble out (as far as I could tell). But it made no difference on the brake pedal. I can still push in it and it goes almost to the floor and if I pump it it firms up, but slowly goes down if I leave my foot on it.

One site I found says that if it does that then it is the master cylinder. I can believe this since it did sit for 7 years not moving. Just as long as it isn't the booster, a regular 02 booster is going for over $400 now. MC is luckily only $129.

Also, I think the MC might be was is causing the smoke out my exhaust.

Also changed out the tranny fluid with the Redline MTL. It will be nice to see how it shifts now once I get the brakes done.

Guest Anonymous

How did you get the trans fluid in there? I've never done it with the trans in the car and was wondering? Turkey baster? Do you have a pump?

If you are going to spend the $ I'd reccomend a tii MC over stock. Makes a huge difference. How do you figure that the MC was/is causing smoke?

For the tranny fluid I have a funnel type device I got at some store, I think it was advance auto parts, it has a long flex neck extending down, I then attach some clear plastic tubing I got at homedepot and run it down along the tranny. I then get under the car and run the tube into the fill hole. Then back up top to fill it until it doesn't fill anymore.

For the master cylinder smoke thing, I still not completely sure the smoke is being caused by it, but almost positive. When I first started it a couple of years ago it didn't smoke. It didn't start until later on in the build after everything was hooked up. I could easily find out by disconnecting the brake booster hose, but I was doing this last night and my 10 month old had to go to bed, her room is right above the garage, my car is loud. But, when I pump the brakes, RPMs rise, then I step on it and puff! Bunch of smoke, but it only on acceleration from a start that it is noticable.

How did you get the trans fluid in there? I've never done it with the trans in the car and was wondering? Turkey baster? Do you have a pump?

If you are going to spend the $ I'd reccomend a tii MC over stock. Makes a huge difference. How do you figure that the MC was/is causing smoke?

I have a small pump that I run with a drill motor (benifits of working in a factory maintenance setting). I got tired of trying to squeeze gear oil bottles by hand to push the lube through plastic tubing. Before I got the mechanical pump, I used to stab a bottle of fluid with a inflation needle (for a football etc) and used a tire pump to push the fluid in. It mostly worked.......

White '76

'89 325i

'90 Spec Miata