• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Caravan (pre-BimmerFest rant)

Vroomer

I got pulled over doin 85 tryin to catch up to the caravan

Ok people, if you're going to TRY and play caravan games to get to a meet, crap happens. When you do the crime, expect to do the time and/or pay the fine.

Two of the EASIEST rules of all CONVOYS I've been on are the speed limit rules for the members of the convoy.

The rules of thumb are:

1. Convoy speed is 5 miles an hour BELOW the Posted Speed limit.

2. The Convoy CATCH UP speed is the speed limit.

Damn rookies.

1969 BMW 2002

1972 BMW 3.0 CS

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

2007 Jeep Wranger X with all the trimmings

On the way down from Santa Maria with the NorCal caravan, we have to pass through a well-known Radar trap area on the 101 near Los Alamos. You come over this rise, and there he is,the CHP, sitting under the trees with his rear facing radar. Only this time as over a hundred BMW's drive by, he is giving a ticket to some workman in his Pick-up truck. Unusual sight, it is usually the other way around.

Drive Safe, See ya tomorrow

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

between each car in a caravan so that others may pass each car safely. That is in the CVC. If someone going past the caravan wants to get between two cars so they can exit you have to let them do so.

It is interesting to observe the attitudes of the non-caravan cars on the road. Some of them get real "pissy" and they are the ones who do not leave any room to get in.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours