• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crank Pully vs Water Pump pully alignment question

rho

Guest Anonymous

I would say that with the torque of the crank pulley nut your only area for adjustment would be with the water pump pulley.... did you use a spacer or washer? did you buy a generic or non OEM/non BMW water pump? Is it seated correctly with the correct gasket??? Did the water pump pulley get bent?

Lots of reasons but none that can't get figured out easily and cheaply

Guest Anonymous

I would say that with the torque of the crank pulley nut your only area for adjustment would be with the water pump pulley.... did you use a spacer or washer? did you buy a generic or non OEM/non BMW water pump? Is it seated correctly with the correct gasket??? Did the water pump pulley get bent?

It's from a used engine I just picked up. I'll measure the distances of 2 known motors I have and see where this new motor is off. This motor has a crank pully that has 2 pulleys (I guess A/C or smog pump) and it looks to be cast as opposed to the stamped steel ones I am familiar with. It also has holes drilled in it probably for balancing, don't know. Hope that info adds to the possible solution.

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

Guest Anonymous

There's a thread just above yours about crank pulleys... If it's not too late I'd lose the heavy double one for a lighter single pulley. the're cheap but unless the motor's out of the car don't bother. that could be your problem though... not completely sure without looking at it. how far off are you? a few mm shouldn't make that much difference, just wear out a belt earlier