• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help starting the 02.

Jason

Okay well the 02 has been stored (yes indoors) for a while now and it hasnt been running for many months. I go out to start it today and its really hard going it will sort of try and turn over but not actually get running on its own. It also started to backfire...which makes me jump each time, and it has NEVER done this before. I gave up trying to get it to start when a little wiff of smoke came from the bottom of the engine up. Smelt a little like an electrical fire does. Any tips for gettign the old 02 running again? Perhaps my starter is shot?

Thanks for the advice,

Jason

PS. Its about zero degrees C today should I try again on a warmer day?

If it is carburated and it is cold it is pretty normal for it to backfire especially if you didn't choke it enough. I would keep trying, but make sure the oil is full. I would put a charge on the battery so it will turn over fast. Mine always backfires on cold days till it warms up. After my 5 sp conversion I am going to look into fuel injection.

Mike

-drain the stale gas FIRST

clean the float bowl

change the fuel filter

remove the mouse nest from the air cleaner,

and inside the exhaust system,

change the motor oil and filter (20w-50 only),

clean or new spark plugs, clean the points,

charge the battery,

adjust the valves and replace the leaking cover gasket,

look for exhaust leaks, and oil leaking from

the exhaust manifold studs,

replace the accelerator pump,

rebuild the carb - all the ancient gaskets and seal rings have rotted,............just for starters

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

HA! Sorry I guess I should have explained that better. Its really not in bad shape at all which is why I couldnt believe it didnt start. I think it had been sitting for 2-3 months since the last start. Its just usually so well behaved. My guess is that its just the cold weather.