• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve Job Needed?

stever

I have a rebuilt ingine in my 74tii with about 3000 miles on it. Valves were originally set well but I noticed some blue smoke yesterday when I was accelerating hard and suddenly letting off the accelerator to switch gears. Is this an indication that I need to have the valves adjusted? Is this a shop only job or can I attempt to do it myself ? (I am fairly adept at figuring things out but have never done this before and have a limited range of tools). Thanks in advance for your help. Steve.

1974 tii

Adjusting Valves you can do yourself...

Just need a 10mm wrench, Feeler gauge and a small screwdriver or allen wrench to move the eccentric wheel to the right setting.

I just put the car in 4th gear and move the car to turn the camshaft so the lobes are directly opposite of the rocker arm and adjust to spec...

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

Just did mine its a piece of cake, owners manual even has a couple tips. Just make sure the engine is totally cool, give it over night if there is any doubt.

If they are left out of adjustment, it could alter your compression due to burnt exhaust valves and lead to several problems with drivability. Definitely check them.

Ca '76: Sahara / Korman Stage I

Did you replace the valve guides when you re-built the motor? If you did, it could be the seals. Blue smoke on decel is usually caused by worn valve guides or seals. I don't believe a valve adjustment will change anything.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

SMOKING !!!????

=NOT VALVE ADJUSTNENT.

possibly:

loose valve stem- to- guide fit because the guides were not

replaced and they should have been?

or loose/damaged valve guide seal from poor installation

or stuck piston rings - even more serious than the valve guide/seal issue

tell us the complete stoy as to motor history - reason for rebuild,

exact list of parts used................. all needed for atempts at

long distance diagnosis.

do not adjust the valves untill you read online instructions found at this site or purchase a repair manual.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"