• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear diff mount

Smithdj

Can someone take a look under their car and tell me if this differential hanger is supposed to be angled like this (see picture)? If this bracket is supposed to be straight up and down, it is the last straw for this car and I am going to have a lot of parts for sale.

Thanks,

Jay

post-944-13667561667258_thumb.jpg

post-944-13667561669336_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the picture. The car had some rear end damage that I thought was fairly limited. The thing is, this is moved about 1/2" and there is no wrinkled sheetmetal that I can find in front of this area. I have to buy a new trunk floor, and I just dont want to spend the money and find out it wont fit becuase other parts are misalligned. Oh well, I have some thinking to do.

Jay

i'd suggest you look for evidence of a front end collision as the culprit. i'd think if the deformation was caused by a rearend collision, perhaps they'd be bent forward not rearward. is your nosepiece original. possible that your whole engine, transmission, driveshaft, differential shifted. just a thought. if you don't have issues currently up front and you're not dealing with a rust bucket, save her....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous

Definatly not right. I just put the whole rear subframe assembly back in mine last week so this is all pretty fresh for me. Look at the large bushings where the rear main cross member bolts to the body, also the tie bars which go from these bushings to the body floor just behind the B pillar. See if they show any sign of rearward movement and look at Guibo the flexible coupling also, do the bolts on the tranny side appear to be pulled apart from the driveshaft side?

Possibly from the rear hit, engine, trans, driveshaft and diff ( a lot of weight on rubber bushings) stays in place for a second while body gets shoved forward. Something has to give.

Sorry for your troubles, Rob.