• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

another transmission question....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

thanks to all who answered my earlier post.

Heres the thing, I got this out of what I thought I remenered being an 83 320i.

Although it may have been manufactured in 82? I don't remember for sure as it has been in my garage as a back up for a while and the car is long gone.

But I believe it is the 3 piece. Bell housing going back like a 4spd then the middle piece for a 5spd and then the short end piece housing the selector and output shafts. Cool, well I guess it's the beefy one, and unless someone tells me different I am going to swap it out for the sloppy one in there now. I am having clutch disengangement problems in first and reverse when the car is sitting still (maybe the clutch-splines are sticking from heat, not enough grease or wear?) and the input shaft is quite sloppy (could this be causing the sticking clutch?) The new trans is much tighter also has the 3 finger output flange which I am going to switch over to when I have the shaft redone. I've had a lot of problems with my guibo over the last three years. Ive had to replace three or four times! I definately beat the hell out of this car but I really think the dummy who did my driveshaft made it a little to long as its really tight. SO I think I'll negate all the possible problems at once..... and hopefully I will have a 5spd set up that works for a trouble free long amount of time as I am about ready to drive my beloved clockwork orange off a cliff......

If your driveshaft is just a little too long, it would seem like you should just be able to slide the differential back a little bit since it is held in place in such a way that it has some movement. The center support bearing can move also. Have you also checked the alignment of the driveshaft? If this is off it could also increase the wear on the guibo.

Yeh, Ive already pushed the rear end all the way back. still tight.... The driveline should make some noise if it is really out of whack when I take off from what I have heard and it doesn't. But it is at a little bit of a an angle up and down wise. I think a lot of my guibo problem is from it being to tight though because if you think about it, all the pressure from the driveline being pushed against it would not be condusive to it lasting long. I think if I go with the stronger 6 bolt guibo and get the thing trimmed down about an 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch and make sure the angle is on I should be ok with the guibo problems. Then there is still the clutch issue but that should be solved with the newer transmission. Thanks for you're input!