• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For you autox'ers out there......preferred tire/wheel setup?

Happy Face

I'm in the process of getting Happy Face ready for her first autox in jan. I'm starting her off pretty much in stock form, just to get a feel for her as a stock car. I may however put on a strut bar, and possibly add sways as well, if I have enough time before first event.

I'd like to shod her though with some R-compound tires. Any suggestions or preferences for tire/wheel setup, without blowing the bank account?

thanks

dave in houston

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

1999 M Roadster Alpine White, 1999 M Coupe Alpine White

My advice would be to save Rcomps untill later. For your first autox i would simply suggest some nice performance tires on some 14's. Last season I ran Faulken Azenis sports on some E30 baskets, and the car performed beautifully. At your first few autox's you will not be competative, so save the Rcomps for later. Race tires basically make up for all of the small driving mistakes that you will be making your first few events and allow you to carry much more speed through the corners. While this may sound great, you won't be learning anything. With a nice street tire, the car will slide around enough that you will know when you are doing things right or wrong. So, yeah... I would say to get some Faulken Azenis RT215's from somewhere on the net (if you can still find them, the 215's are the older, cheaper, and in my opinion better model of azenis. The new ones are the RT615's). The tires are cheap, throw them on a set of baskets (you'll need a 3mm spacer for the front) and go have some fun.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Jonas

sig.JPG

• Administrators

my recomendation is also to stay away from r-compound untill second year of autocrossing. Our novice program does not allow novices to drive on r-comp tires :). What i heard from out Street Tire racers is that thew Hankooks are becoming a better value then the Falkens.. the price for the ne Azenis went up and the quality did not go that hight. i do not know what sizes are available.

As for the R-compound tires. Kumho Ecsta v710 is the better tire right now. I run 215/50 r13 on a 13x7.7 wheel. I also used to run hoosier 225/55r13 and 225/45r13 on the same rim. That tire was better then the victoracer and the ecsta 700. It's been interesting to watch the tire wars. Almost like F1 micheline vs. bridgestone :)

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Just spend your money making the car super reliable, then drive it like you stole it.

You have to remember that your car will only be as fast as the weakest link. Sticky tires will not make up for poor brakes, inch thick sway bars will not keep the clogged radiator from overheating. It would suck to do all kinds of go-fast upgrades only to have your whole day sidelined because of a fuel leak or fouled plug.

The most fun I had autocrossing was not in my Gonzo class 02, nor in my E30M3, but in a bone stock, beater 2002 with skinny ass tires, and it leaned so much I had to hang my head out the window to see where I was going.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I should have qualified my remarks....

I'm not a novice autocrosser. this is my 7th year of autocrossing and have used R-comps on my M-roadster, M3 and currently my MINI Cooper.

that being said, there is always more to learn. I'm interested in which r-comps work best on the 'O2. And, it could be that it would be advisable to get used to this particular car in autox mode on street tires first, and then go to sticky rubber.

The car isn't a daily driver and will be used primarily, but not exclusively for autox.

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

Verona, are you going to be running in San Antonio this year? I think we have seen you in years past running the M car. My son and I ran my '76 530 back in Jan at Verizon, but we were too busy to go back out again. But, I am getting the urge to run one of my cars again, either the '02 or the 530. I have used the R compound tires on both cars in years past and it sure is much more fun than running on street tires.

thanks Steve

I've got the 710's on my MINI now and they are sweet. I didn't realize they had a size for the 'O2. Do you think wheel diameter makes any difference for acceleration on the 'O2 (given the stock 4-speed)? Are you on 13's?

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

I ran my white M-roadster here in houston for 3 years or so. That was a fun car but awfully tail-happy. I never did run it in SA but if I can get this car set up as a reliable autox'er (meaning no parts fall off - as someone has already cautioned me), I'll run it in SA and DFW if I can. I did drive at the 'O3 Octoberfest in Austin. That was a great course!

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

• Administrators

yah, i run 13" wheel. the 215/50 are much shrter then the stock tire so the acceleration is much better. But you might want to check class rules if you are allowed to run a different size wheel. I have fender flares, but i have seen those tires on the '02 without them. Due to small diameter they can actually fit.

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Guest Anonymous

They worked well. This year I fell into a set of Toyos. I like them even better, and I'm told they last longer. I have them on bottlecaps and I can run them on either the 73 inka or my 91 E30 (318i).