• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this thing?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

30541832IWKwprVORk_ph.jpg

There's a 1-inch thick tube that runs from the exhaust manifold, around the back of the engine, and underneath the intake manifold, where it it capped. I've got red lines pointing to it on the photo. Any idea what this tube is for? Can I remove & discard it without hurting anything?

-steve '71 2002

Guest Anonymous

heater hose of some sort. Does it actually come from the exhaust manifold? If I could see where it starts, I's probably be able to tell you right away.

Guest Anonymous

You can block the hole on the Ex manifold temporarily with a dime under the nut, but it should be welded shut as it makes a terrible racket when it starts leaking.

Guest Anonymous

barrel solex, so you must have an early car. Smog equipment was an air pump and 'gulp' valve. The scheme was to lean down the mixture and then blow cool air on the stems of the exhaust valves to keep them from burning up.

You should plug the hose that goes into your exhaust manifold. Get the fitting off the manifold and find an appropriate sized short bolt. Putting a hose on it and trying to plug the hose will eventually give you an exhause leak.

Plug all the crap that goes into your intake manifold (except for the vacumn advance, the hose that feeds your brake booster, and the hose that goes to your air cleaner. Again you want to remove the larger fittings and find an appropriate bolt, or have a welder friend seal them off.

Pitch the air pump (if it isn't already). You should then re-set the idle mixture needle valve on the carb.

Cheers!

John N.