• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fun with 3m strip caulk - Aka dum dum

R.I.P.B.M.W.

I've  had experience with this stuff decades ago where you could neatly peel off a foot strip from the box and get it to  work filling in a body gap and/or sticking an inner door plastic sheet without any messy goo on fingers and hands. The new reality is that the boxes seem to have the individual strips oozed together (got real hot (?) at some point) as noted in Google reviews. My box contents appeared overheated/melted and became a real pita when I tried to stick it to the inner door skin. It was sticking better (and not letting go) to my skin and not the door surface. Gave a cursory search on the FAQ and no one complained about strip caulk usage or excessive stickiness. Got to be a better way- lubricate or talcum powder hands, wear gloves? Got an idea that if heat made it stickier then, cold should make it less sticky? Put box in the 'fridge (20min) and what a difference. Easy to peel out of box, doesn't stick to fingers, goes onto door and sticks to it. Had about 10min to work with it before it started getting sticky again. Likely, most of you have figured this out already on your own but, its new to me. Hope this helps someone.

• Like 2