• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to proceed with my '72 tii

nedhoey

This post is to ask for advice and information. I've owned my '72 tii since 1991. It just passed 200k actual original miles. It runs well. Always starts normally and very smooth running when warm.

This is my situation. The engine and drive train have leaky seals. The main engine leak is where the head and the front cover meet. A well know leak location. There is also a leak at the transmission/drive shaft seal. Then there is seepage at the drive shaft/rear differential. There is probably also leaks at the rear axle seals. While these are not serious, they are annoying and a nuisance as oild drips on the garage floor. But they are pretty costly to fix. 

The other issue is a bit of smoke occasionally due to valve guide and ring wear. Fully addressing that is basically an engine rebuild. I haven't done a compression or leak down test yet.
Apparently certain items like the a new oil pump are very hard to find. Doing just the top end might end up eventually harming the rings since the tight top will direct more force towards the rings. 

I believe doing all the seals would be several thousand in labor.  Probably involve a rebuild of the rear diff. which has an element that must be done exactly right or there will be problems. (I forget what it is). Doing the engine would run many thousands. A complete rebuild would be a major undertaking.

What would you do? Where would you take it in the Bay Area, (I'm closer to the South Bay/San Jose area)

I would start with a compression and leak down check.

If it only smokes occasionally it might not be that bad, If the oil has been changed regularly m10 engines are pretty strong.

Replacing the rear transmission and differential seals isn't that hard or expensive. If the differential isn't making any noise it's probably ok.

I've heard good things about Motorspeed West in Santa Clara.

Thanks, yes doing the tests are the starting point. It smokes at those times when rings/valve guides allow a little oil in, like after a down hill freeway stretch, foot off the gas and then at that moment you hit the pedal at the bottom you can see a puff of smoke in the rear view if you look for example. Doing the head and front cover gaskets is a fair amount of labor so that's when also doing the head/valve guides work comes into play, which then also relates to the rings which then means both top and bottom end and it becomes a whole engine job.

The rear diff doesn't make noise but when you ask about the seals you get the, "probably a good time to redo it..." It's the thing of, since you're paying the labor to get into there might as well do it right. That was more reasonable in a more affordable era. 

I think I called Motorspeed West back when I first explored this a few months ago and their 02 guy was supposed to call me but didn't. That's how it is these days, possibly they have a guy who knows 02s and if they do, it's a whole process to deal with. No more just making an appointment and they treat it like the fairly simple old car it is. 

If I sound a bit frustrated, I am. I've owned these cars for over 40 years and it's in just the past 5 years or so that things have gotten much more challenging if you aren't doing most of your own work or have unlimited ability to pay.

• Like 1

A little smoke on downhill is pretty common on 02s since the oil pan isn't really baffled. I wouldnt worry to much about that.

The leak from the upper timing cover can sometimes be fixed without removing the lower timing cover.

I would just reseal the differential, you can do it without taking the whole thing apart.

Yeah things are definitely not like they used to be. It's hard to get anyone to call you back these days and prices have skyrocketed. Most shops don't like any car they can't plug a computer into and don't have anyone who can understand carburetors.

I'm a mechanic and do almost all the work on my 02 and have worked on other people's. I could at least take a look at your car, if your interested send me a message and we can talk.

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors