• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Differential Rattle

Fla2002

'76 2002

I have had a rattle in the right rear which occurs when the suspension reacts to bumps. It is not the exhaust, shocks, anything in the trunk. I believe I found the rattle and it appears the right half shaft is moving back and forth vertically. The noise appears when I move the shaft towards the differential and hits the carrier. I have to give it a hard shove and it makes that noise. Sometimes there is resistance but it then loosens and makes that noise.

The car shows 46,000 miles but who knows for sure. I did a complete suspension rebuild, new bushings, shocks, center support bearing, etc. The shaft boots are in good shape but I am leaning towards the CV Joint.

Any thoughts???

The shafts can be moved axially if the cv joints are not stuck.  With the suspension fully extended to the shock stroke limit there should still be some play.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.