• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB driver square tail light lens

AlfaBMWGuy

I am looking for a nice condition '74-'76 square driver side tail light.  I'm specifically looking for just the lens section as the frame, frame gasket, and light assembly of my existing one are fine.  The center mounting post on my existing lens section is broken off at the base of the post and I'm having no luck gluing it back on such that it will seal against the lens gasket and be weather tight--a previous owner or shop kludged this with Home Depot type putty to replace the lens gasket in an attempt to both act as a seal and glue, but it's just too ugly to live with that.  As well as needing both mounting posts to be solid, I need all of the lens sections to be clear and not cloudy including the double lens with the white section behind the red that's above the center white lens section with the mounting posts.  Some of these apparently have become unsealed and cloudy over the decades and this won't match my passenger side lens.  I'd prefer the lenses not to have any cracks, but if there are smaller hairline cracks that aren't too noticeable, that would be OK.  If someone has a full driver square tail light assembly and will only consider selling the complete assembly, I would consider that.

Thanks,

Gary

Edited by AlfaBMWGuy

Turns out that BMW still sells these square taillight lenses new as I was told by my usual supplier, BluntTech.  They are pricey at over $275 each, but I went ahead and ordered one (hard to tell how many weeks it will take having to come from Germany in the middle of a worldwide shipping/supply chain shortage).  I've got an interim solution with the cloudy lens version that will get me by (see pic below of a cloudy vs. clear lens next to each other--I guess one could argue that cloudy better matches my Granatrot tii, but I'd like the taillights to match with each other as well).  But, if someone does have a really nice lens section of a driver taillight and they aren't looking to sell an entire assembly for $$$, let me know.  I'll not mark this as "found" until I know more about how long will take my new one to arrive and I can always cancel that order if another used option pops up.

Thanks,

Gary

PXL_20211101_215024628.jpg

Attached are pics of my now finished driver taillight project.  First is the "before" pic of the horrid DIY black putty job done probably a couple decades ago according to the previous owner.  This putty was acting as a glue because of the broken mounting post on the lens, meaning it was helping to hold the lens against the chrome frame weather sealing it.  Then the "hacker" removed the lens gasket before filling the channel with the putty so I had to fabricate a new lens gasket as well, which I did for both sides since the original lens gasket was pretty much decomposed on the passenger side as well.  What a mess cleaning up the putty!  As a bonus, I was lucky enough to be the one to score the freebie square taillight t-shirt in the XL size offered by a FAQ member (I deserved it given my recent experience).  So I've included a couple pics of that along with my tii taillights.

PXL_20210921_184046933 (1).jpg

PXL_20211109_223514558.jpg

PXL_20211109_223732683.MP.jpg

PXL_20211109_223710576.jpg

• Like 1