• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3D imaging/printing Clardy plastic bits

Pdxguy

I am rejuvenating the Clardy ac that will go into my car so it is completely disassembled. Is there a community benefit to getting it scanned prior to reassembly? I say "scanned" like I actually know what I am talking about. 

I get the sense that printing pieces of this size (about 5x9) is not quite ready for prime time but I would love to have a way to recreate the plastic sides and front vents if they break in the future. 

Thoughts?

Dennis

I’m not sure this would be a very high-volume item, but if you made ‘em I’ll bet Koogle, Blunt and others might offer to sell them.  On the other hand, I don’t know where to get one of those side panels if I ruin one, so a source would be nice.  With a Clardy-style a/c and a size 13 foot, I am always at risk of hanging the outside of my foot on the ABS panel during acceleration.  Thus, I have been thinking about trying to modify the one I have.  With no idea how to go about it.  If that particular panel could be shaped to wrap tighter to the evaporator and yield a little more toe room…. Just a thought…

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

• 1 year later...

Here’s my working prototype for the early vent inserts. I know that later units had different designs. Forgive the missing fin, I just wanted to make sure the tolerances were correct and the pivoting movement worked well. Currently these are printed in PLA but my final designs would be in ABS so they hold up better in the heat of summer. Let me know what you think and if anyone else needs replacements too!

BC1A1233-955A-44FB-A193-536552388A0B.jpeg

19A84ECE-23B2-44C8-9AF8-3B4BB5BAE823.jpeg

• Like 3