• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SoCal - 75 2002 -- This is the year it runs... Timing Marks

Worzella,

I think you and I have the same crank pulley. My car is a 75 with AC, Water-pump and Smog-pump running off the same pulley. The Belt you see in the pictures that I attached is going down to the smog pump. I took out the water pump belt, Rad Fan and Alternator so that I could get a better access to the crank bolt. As I didn't even know if the engine would turn over. I put a small amount of transmission fluid (a water bottle cap full) in each cylinder, and the motor turns, no odd sounds and super smooth.

I don't want to get ahead of myself.. but now that I have a fresh new battery, I'll run compression tests, research the timing marks, etc. I have the resistor wire (speaker wire) on the coil lead so I purchased a NOS 221-119-021Black Ignition Coil that requires the .9 ohm resistor, which is what I read I need, due to the "built-in" speaker wire resistor wire at the coil positive lead.

Anyway, If I get good compression, which I think I should, I'll continue with the timing portion, just to check that everything is in time and then work on getting a solid spark.. the car had a blue coil which I think was the wrong coil for this car all along.

First things first.. Oh and did I mention, I'm going to do a quick oil change, get that 20 year old oil out of her, and get some fresh oil in to start the compression tests... I have a graduation party to go to this weekend, but my goal is to at least run some solid compression tests as a foundation to start digging deeper.

The drama continues....

16 hours ago, larry_in_socal said:

1) place flywheel at the TO mark (with the Straight line) at the ridge of the timing inspection hole.

2) remove the valve cover (check for the Cam Mark to be in the middle of the Oil Spray Bar.

3) remove the distributor cover, check to see that the rotor is pointing at the mark on cylinder 1.

4) if the mark at the distributor is off, then I could be 180 degrees off and rotate the fly wheel again till the TO mark appears again.

You could even just ignore the flywheel mark too -- pull the plugs (you're gonna use new ones right?) and use something stuck down the cyl 1 plug hole (a chopstick or wooden skewer perhaps?) to confirm TDC. Then check that the cam mark lines up with the oiler bar and cyl 1 lobes face down. Then set your dizzy so the rotor is at the notch. It'll fire up like this -- it's what i did to start our engine that sat for who knows how long! Of course, confirm you have spark, and the accel pump is spraying, and you have 12V going to the idle solenoid if the carb has one. 

• Like 1

All,

I followed the advise here and as shown, it looks like my engine is all timed up correctly.  1) The "TO" Line is inline with ridge on flywheel timing inspection hole, done. 2) the dam timing mark is at the oil pump bar, done. 3) the Distributor Rotor is pointing at the mark on distributor rim, done. I didn't check the flywheel as I got side tracked with running a compression test..

View recent photos 1.jpg

View recent photos 2.png

View recent photos 3.png

• Like 1

Seems good...did you mean you did not check pulley/pointer in your last phrase

Anyway since valve cover off make sure #1 rockers are loose and off cam lobe. Otherwise great fun huh??

Did you check/set valve clearances while cover off ?

Keep posting. Love the updates!

Randy

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

Hey Larry

I know you are on to next steps but finally got my girl all back together and after sign of the cross..turned key and she fired up instantly!  Woo f'in hoo!

Initial timing set and after one more celebratory beer..I will map my timing numbers

Pix are 1400-ish and BB baby!!PXL_20210531_182636829.jpg

Randy

Screenshot_20210531-144045.png

Edited by worzella

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

Worzella,

Yea....That’s good stuff. Definitely where I need my car to be. That’s a really nice timing light. I have one from good ole HB... once I get this engine to run I can invest in better equipment, for now I’m just getting the basics down. Spark, fuel and compression. I’m really bummed out over the compression or rather lack of.. but I’ll soldier on to get this car running this summer. I appreciate working on this knowing that I have support from the on-line community here.

i plan to get back to the car when I return home this Friday...

Larry F in Ca