• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: Original Blaupunkt stereo

Fletcher

Fletcher,

I don’t know how far you want to take the Bluetooth receiver business, but....

Blaupunkt and Becker units of the era have DIN receptacles on the rear into which you can plug a Bluetooth receiver ($90 to $150 on eBay and elsewhere). But you may want to look for a stereo unit to support dual channels through the radio’s amp.

Blaupunkts and Beckers of the era didn’t have particularly strong FM receivers, so many of us use the units primarily as an avenue to deliver music from our phones to the car’s speakers.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Thanks, Steve.  What's your setup consist of? 

Fletcher,

In my ‘76, I have a 1975 Becker Grand Prix Stereo, one of the most expensive (and trouble-prone) car stereos of that era! Very posh... ???

It looks very cool, but is now — 3 years after its last service — due for another trip to Becker Autosound to resolve a couple minor problems, such as the auto-tune feature, which has ceased working. It has a Bluetooth attachment that I purchased on eBay about 4 years ago. I have no idea the brand of the Bluetooth attachment. It was $100-ish at the time. And, like all of these Bluetooth units at that time, it requires a 12-volt power lead.

One of our forum members recently recommended a Bluetooth unit that does not require a 12-volt lead. Now, certainly given that I already have a 12-volt lead (sistered to the radio’s power lead), there’s no benefit in upgrading... I think. But I must admit, I’m wondering if 2020 Bluetooth technology is just plain better than 2016 technology. Here’s that “modern” unit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Becker-Stereo-Radio-Europa-II-Bluetooth-5-0-Hands-free-Streaming-With-7-Pin/293725585413?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

My ‘73 has a 1972 Blaupunkt AM/FM Stereo with, if I recall, the exact same 4-year-old Bluetooth unit.

You can, undoubtedly, spend more money on automotive Bluetooth capability. But neither of my cars is a sound studio with oodles of Dynamat sound deadening. For me, the period Becker and Blaupunkt, with now 4-year-old Bluetooth units, get the job done.

Regards,

Steve

A32D25A8-5F6C-437D-856B-0A5DD264106B.jpeg

9936A790-8E56-4B96-8B0C-A276DD109C56.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

I’m wondering if 2020 Bluetooth technology is just plain better than 2016 technology.

Yeah, a 2016 device was likely Bluetooth 4.2 (or early as electronics designs tend to get repackaged endlessly as "new").   5.0 came out at the end of 2016.  Current is 5.2 (2019).  

If you want to delve in to the nitty-geeky-gritty of the differences https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Specifications_and_features

My nieces girlfriend is an Electrical Engineer and I thought to engage her by suggesting re-plumbing the guts of a vintage Blaupunkt with a SBC to make it a bluetooth receiver (among other things).  If she turns me down, I'll likely go the far more simpler route of one of these adapters as ultimately my goal was just making a connection with her.  The only thing I usually listen to while driving is books and there's plenty of low tech ways to achieve that ?

• Like 1