• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E21 BMW 5 speed 318 transmission year 83-85

EdA

I believe you’re looking For a getrag 245 transmission.  Common swap for a 2002.  I’ve done it in mine, with a 3.91 lsd.  Unfortunately the getrag 245 getting more difficult to find and not cheap.  Expect to pay $1,200-1,500 for a decent transmission.  

You will also need to modify you’re driveshaft, 5 spd trans adapter and shift kit, swap your clutch and speedo cables for the 5 spd swap, and best to update your differential.  A 3.91 LSD is the sweet spot, and will also cost around another $1,000+ if you can find one.  Check 2002ad. They have a lot of donor cars and new parts as well.  I lucked out and bought a rebuilt motor from them on my other 2002.  Good luck in your search. ??

By his description he's looking for a Getrag 240 transmission which was found in the year cars he named.  If he is putting the 5 speed into a 2002 then he would likely want the 5 speed from the 83 E21 since it uses speedometer drive just like a 2002.  The 84-85 E30 Getrag 240 will work as well although it lacks the speedometer drive since it gets the signal electronically from the differential. 

shermanmartinez at Hotmail dot com