• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Pump Push Rod Alternative

FabianG

Hello and greetings from bavaria, 
with the help of several very useful threads on here I recently converted my E30 316 from the Pierburg carb to a Weber 32/36, jetted to CD's prescription.
The swap went without any major problems and the little M10 now runs very well.

I discovered that the new style mechanical fuel pump on the E30 delivers too much pressure for the Weber, I measured it at 0.5 bar (7psi). As I did not want to add a regulator after the mechanical pump, I went with the '667'- early-style pump mentioned in the Fuel Pump FAQ.

In order to fit the new pump I had to switch to the longer style pump push rod. Since there are VW Beetle pumps fitting the M10, as well as gaskets, I looked for a fitting VW fuel pump push rod, as the BMW ones are too expensive for my liking. I found the part-nr. #113127307, a 108mm push rod, fitted on the VW beetle, Bus and other models, that looks very similar to the BMW one, except it is available for under 5 bucks. 

The pump and rod arrived today. The VW rod did not quite fit initially, as the outer diameter was a tiny bit too large (0.03mm), but nothing a bit of sandpaper and a drill could not handle.
The sanded down rod now fits perfectly and the pump works as expected, delivering around 0.25 bar (3.5psi). 

I have not yet found an alternative for the 88mm-rod, but a that price it would be worth a try to shorten the VW rod. I hope this information helps some people to save a few bucks! 

best regards,
Fabian

IMG_20200428_150725.jpg

IMG_20200428_150737.jpg

Edited by FabianG