Jump to content
rufurt

New brushes for automatic shift cover

3 posts / 361 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

(edited)

The brushed in my automatic (1976) shift cover had become brittle with age and almost half had broken off, leaving it looking very poor.

 

Old Brushes

 

You can't buy the original parts anymore. So I though I'd make my own. 

It took a while to find something similar enough to look right, cheap, and the right size. Took a while but I got 2 out of the 3. They size isn't exactly right, but we'll fix that.

 

I ordered a strip brush from McMaster-Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/74405t1

You can buy it by the foot, which is nice, as I didn't want to buy in bulk.

The bristles are 0.006" in diameter, the bristles in the original varied from 0.006"-0.009".

The width from back of base to end of bristle is 3/4" which is longer than the original's 0.66". So you'll need to trim the bristles.

Here is pic of the brush (after i started trimming)

 

Shift_brush.jpg.3fd24013bcf1d98177e1fd86

 

 

here is the inside of the shift cover with old brushes removed.

 

Shift cover inside

 

Using scissors seemed like a bad idea (unless you are a barber), so I decided to clamp the bristle in place with a straight-edge. It will hold them in place and make so you can adjust the depth of cut. My first cut was exactly the amount I need to trim to get the width down to 0.66". 

Shift_ruler.thumb.jpg.23a470af7e6e36b2d938fbbefb3c8dcb.jpg

 

 

Use a new razor blade so you don't have to press hard.

 

Cutting the brush

 

When I took it out to measure, I had only cut about half what I needed.

What happens is, as you drag the blade along the bristles you end up tilting them from perpendicular to the spine. They bunch up together and hide under the straight edge.

Since I didn't know exactly how much extra needs to protrude beyond the straight-edge, I had to creep up on the desired width with successive cuts.

 

Now you'll need to bend the strip to match the curve in the cover. A vise helps. Do a little at a time and then move the strip. 

Bendin the strip

 

Check the bend often. The strip bends more towards the aft part of the shift cover.

 

Test fit the strip

 

Once you are satisfied with the bend. It's time to glue them in. I used a little JB-Weld Kwik (who wants to wait 4 hours for it to set)

 

Gluing the strip

 

Here is the cover with brushes installed

Brushed installed

 

The only imperfection from the outside is the angle of the bristles. Bending the strip causes the bristles to fan upwards a little. They don't stay in the plane of the cover. I can live with that.Bristle angle

 

Here is how the shift lever looks in the bristles (on the bench). It moves smoothly through the bristles.

 

Lever

 

One more piece of the car looking good. Next is the shift numbers (notice the vacant slot on the left).

 

I have no idea why this image appears here, I can't seem to delete it. oh well. Extra image of the brush.

Shift_brush.jpg

Edited by rufurt
deleted double posted image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Job. Thanks for providing instructions on how to do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.