• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remove header to drop transmission?

Roverguy

Started my trans drop today.  I have Stahl header and the intermediate pipe is welded to the header.  Exh. is one piece from header to front of rear resonator.

Even if I cut the front pipe at the header and sleeve it on replacement, it looks like header will be in way, even if I could remove the center section of the exhaust.

Looks like I may need to drop the whole system including the header. It's gonna be a b$&tch to get to the drive shaft and center support with the exhaust in too.

I'm going to drop the center link.

Any help would be appreciated.

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

I pulled the whole exhaust, similarly built to yours header included.

Mine also did not look like it would clear (lotsa time laying there staring at it.)

I don't give a fird gen, carbretted, alyoominiuhm, tickity boo!... wiff an ole in the boot!

Finally 4 hours got the driveshaft out.

Header and exhaust came out easy.

But the trans is stuck in 2 gears, so i can't get neutral, even with clutch down.

Getting the top 2 bolts off the guibo totally sucked, swivels, 16" extension and working blind.

Onto the trans tomorrow, wish me luck!

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car