• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Center driveshaft bearing crapped out (M42)

tashakes

M42 related, I have the M30 driveshaft in my car,  Last week I was driving normal, then heard some noise under the car.  Stopped and could  not see anything, then taking off again, kinda like a very loose exhaust bumping.  So I slowly drove home.   Today I lifted the car to see what I could find, and the center bearing on the driveshaft completely broke off the rubber on the mount.  I found some info on r3v and seems like there are several brands and prices.  Being the cheapskate I am, I do not remember what I bought originally, which is about 4 years and 5,000 or so miles ago, but I bet I must have bought one of the cheaper ones.  Today I bought a Febi replacement, as they are highly recommended over URO and other brands but just a few bucks more, The posts state that breaking though the rubber is a common failure point of the cheaper ones.

I hope that replacing it with this better one will make it last longer than a few thousand  miles.  Not sure if this relates to original driveshaft bearing support, but check for quality before buying replacement ones.

Edited by tashakes
spelling

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit

06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd - garage queen *  73 Mustang Convertible 351C 

15 VW Touareg V6 Executive - daily driver * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

It's tough right now, I agree- lots of good brands are dropping everything before

about 2000, and lots of formerly good brands are now selling junk to us older car owners.

Febi is hit and miss, and it seems to be random; crap E46 expansion tanks, very good guibos.

Caveat emptor has gotten even more emptor these days.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL