• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Puzzled by a whistling sound...thoughts?

Longdrawz

Getting ready to back out of my garage...I step on the clutch put it in reverse.  As I release the clutch it makes a low whistling sound...almost like a turbo, not near as loud.  I only hear it as I begin to back off the clutch, reverse and 1st gear.  This is the cars first trip around the block since installing my motor and trans (5 spd).  Didnt notice it while driving.

TIA,

Nate

If the sound isn't there when the clutch pedal is in (disengaged) but occurs when you release, could be the pilot bearing int the crankshaft (supports the engine end of the trans input shaft).  If the sound is there when the clutch pedal is in, then I'd suspect the clutch throwout bearing...

Does the noise continue when the car is moving?  And only in first and reverse?  if so it may be a bearing in the tranny itself...

Hopefully it's something less difficult to access! 

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike....thanks for the response.  I only noticed the sound as I slowly creep forward or in reverse.  The sound disappears (to the best my ears can tell) as the gear is fully engaged, unable to hear anything beyond that....2nd...3rd. New pilot bearing, new clutch kit..flywheel machined and the trans was a pick up from Aardvark 02 parts.   No grinding or shifting issues I can speak to.  I'll try to get a sound clip today after work.

Nate