• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my 02 keeps dying!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

my 76 02 runs out of battery around every 30 miles or so. the alternator is about 2 years old, and the voltage regulator is about 2-3 DAYS old. i thought this problem would be fixed by replacing the voltage regulator. the battery seems to be in ok condition also. i just filled it up with water so it would take a good charge from the alternator, but something else is obviously wrong. the first day i put the regulator on, the car did perfect and ran the best it has for months. On my way home from work today, the alternator light stayed on, and sure enough i didnt make it home. does anyone have any idea to what this problem could be?

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.roadfly.org/bmw/gallery/picture.php?path=20253,1;20252,1;-19,9;

..... from all you describe .

Double check the battery voltage with key ON, and with headlights ON, motor OFF = sould not be lower than 11.5 volts . Start motor and rev to 2000 rpm, voltage should now be about 13.5 to 14.0 volts.

Battery should not be LOW on 'water' , only if extreme hot climate , under hood temps, or possible over charging for too long period - or internal plated have become sulphated (hardened) not good, time to replace battery again.

Guest Anonymous

1. Plug on back of alternator--is it firmly plugged in, with wire bail retainer in place? They can work loose and then the alternator won't charge properly. '

2. Brown ground wire that runs from alternator to engine block...is it there? If so, pull on both ends to make sure the terminals are still firmly crimped to the wire. If not, make a new ground wire and install. No ground wire, no charge from alternator.

I presume you've cleaned/tightened battery terminals, and also the two ground straps--one on body, the other on the engine.

Bottom line: before buying a new alternator, battery or voltage regulator, make sure all connections are clean and tight. You might save yourself some $$$.

Mike