• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'72 shifter linkage

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My linkage doesn't match the diagram shown in the linkage rebuild FAQ. My transmission was replaced two years ago (by the previous owner). I think the previous owner used a shifter that came with the new transmission.

The 10 inch horizontal selector rod goes into the transmission/selector rod joint directly. There's no offset--it doesn't come in from the side. The "Gear Selector Rod Joint" (part #16 on the 2002 FAQ diagram) is totally different to accomodate this different selector rod.

Does anyone know which year 2002 (I assume it's not a 1972) this different setup comes from? That joint is worn and I need to rebuild it.

Thanks,

Peter

Guest Anonymous

consider an upgrade to the newer apre's 73 or tailor your rebuild to the earlier style you have. Some say the earlier bushings wear faster-not sure on that one.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks. It sounds like it's the original 1972 linkage. Does anyone have the part numbers for the cylindrical joint between the transmission and the selector rod? I'd like to replace all of the hardware in that joint.

Also, what's the best reference for part numbers? I'd like to buy either a printed version or a computerized version.

Thanks again,

Peter