• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Momo steering wheel "hub" question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, another snag in Hugo's restoration....I attempted to install a really nice vintage Momo black leather steering wheel I've been hanging onto for over 2 years...and the darn hub wouldn't go onto the splines without "alot" of force, so I "bagged" it for now....bummer! I figured if it was that hard to get on I'd need a "puller" to remove every time, and that I'd prefer to avoid.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions where I could get another "hub" that will fit the bolt pattern of this Momo wheel? I figure it's a long shot, but thought I'd ask.

I have a nice BWA wheel for another car and its hub slides right on, so it's not an "Italian" thing.

Any experiences with Nardi wheels?

Thanks,

John

'72tii "Hugo" tii#129 (coming together)

Guest Anonymous

MOMO adapters have a part number on the perimeter of the largest diameter. Check the # on yours against an online catalog listing to confirm the application.

If it is for the 02 or early BMW, check the splines for damage. Too tight, of too loose is not good !

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

As mentined previously, Momo made many hubs for many cars: you MUST get the hub with spline pattern that fits like glove on your 02 . Momo is tough to contact: they work through dealers.I tried , unsuccessfully for a month to "talk" to Momo. When I went to a complete Nardi hib and wheel in my Sahara ( pictured) I saw that the same company sold Momo hubs for 2002s.I spoke to them about Momo hubs and they have all the Momo stuff for 2002s. I can check- i might even have an extra correct 2002 Momo hub for you. I know "Jurgen" usually has some in Utah( ebay name of great 2002 guy and friend). Please do not force your hub onto the steering splines. Just mount any combo you have that fits and works until we can fix you up with the correct Momo hub. Momo also made several different 2002 hib designs and hub lengths. This is also a consideration for you- because you need to have your fingers clear the column stalks. I needed a nardi spacer to achieve the correct distance/clearence. The website sells spacers that mate with hubs seemlessly. Here are pics of the correct stuff:....this is Nardi hub and spacer behind Nardi signed wheel with black center trim.....standard.jpg......Momo wheel( on correct Momo hub).....standard.jpg..... Sorry: i cannot find a picture of a hib alone, or a side shot in the car. I could take one today if you dont get adequate info. i will find you the web site that sells all the correct stuff at good prices and they have all the inventory you need in next post. You should be able to buy a Momo hub WITH the correct horn contact button assembly and turn cancellation ring. I have an extra horn contact if you cannot find one. I have seen a wild "Momo" hub that is not solid- it is cagelike- annot remember whose car that was from- it may have been a "crushable" hub.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

URL: http://www.sportscar-parts.com/index.htm

the website is called "sports car accessories". i will try to link on this page. if i fail; just do a search under the name and wade through all the Karting stuff to find their front page- that will take you to Momo hubs etc. Good luck: they were a pleasure to do business with and their shipping was fast and reasonable. i will look for the hub today.

Guest Anonymous

Unrelated question, but I have the same color(saddle) interior as shown in the photo. I've been trying to find material of that color to re-do my seats, but have been told the stuff isn't made anymore. I like the cloth inserts on the seats shown. How did you get this combination of materials? Thanks.

Guest Anonymous

My hub is vinyl (fits over a frame)...not metal like most I've seen. I bought the assembly from an '02 guy I met at '02 Fest East several years ago...it ticks me off it won't fit an '02!!! I paid big money for it $170!

Any help is much appreciated.....I can e-mail you some pics if that will help.

John

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

a source of the correct, matching brown vinyl at my seat guys a few years ago.I had the driver's outter bolster redone from wear. 3 years ago, they said the Recaro material was still available- expensive, but available. It may be NLA now- but i am sure some shops still have inventory. The seat trim combo is the ONLY thing the PO did right on the entire car. That is why i am reluctant to 86 those seats( they are bent- they need another expensive fix). Al Larson could probably do a set like mine. ( al @ seams perfect.ca) Also, Kevin Chin, at "info@creativeoptions.info" does custom seat coverings for BMWs and he has seen my seats and knows how to get the materials to recreate them.