• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission stuck to engine

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Trying to pull the transmission off the engine. All the bolts are removed (10 I think?) and the cover plate is off.

I can pull the transmission back about 1/2" from the engine, then it won't go any further. Since the engine is already out of the car, I can't pull much harder on the transmission without dragging the engine along too. Have I missed something, or do they just get stuck sometimes?

Maybe I can just get my wife to pull the other way on the engine while I tug on the tranny. She'll love that. (not!)

Matthew Cervi

'73 tii

Guest Anonymous

The pilot bearing is very likely causing the problem as they sometimes become frozen. If you have a couple of large screw drivers you can very slowly use them as a lever arm to help seperate the two. Be sure to block these items good, as they are heavy and will cause you harm if gravity decides to do its thing. Be sure not to get too excited and work them apart slowly. Some patience now will save money and time in the long run. Kepp them low to the ground as mentioned above.

Guest Anonymous

I ran into this same problem. My dad and I worked on this from both sides with two wonderbar type prybars. Once it was far enough that the transmission could spin on the spindle, a rubber hammer (anacanapana) was used to beat it apart the rest of the way.

-Matt_P (you'd better check your block, it could be ugly!)