• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Almost ready for final assembly, what order should I do it i

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.geocities.com/karlkarlb/my_bmw_page.html

I am getting ready for final assembly and don't want to get something together and the realize that I should have put it together after the engine was in the car, etc.

Here is my list, I am sure I am missing something, but this is the meat of it. Based on a previous inquiry I made, and the answers I received, I think I will be lifting the engine/transmission into place, suspending them from above, then lifting the subframe under that. I will attach the subframe to the body, then the engine to the subframe.

Based on that sequence and the fact that the car is a tii, I will be installing a 325e alternator and fabricating a bracket for it, and I will be removing the battery tray and relocating the battery to the trunk, what order should I perform these tasks in (I have ordered them in the order that I think would work, but I have never done this before):

install electric radiator fan

install radiator

installing brake booster and master cyl

lift engine/transmission into place and support from above

lift subframe into place

mounting subframe to body

mounting engine to subframe

mounting struts to subframe

install alternator

install driveline

install exhaust

My main concerns are not being able to get the alternator in once the engine is in or not being able to get the engine in with the alternator attached. Or, not being able to get the engine in with the radiator already in (likewise with the brake booster and master cyl).

Guest Anonymous

I installed an engine and trans assembly with brake parts already mounted on firewall. But I left the radiator for later. It's fragile and that engine-tranny assembly can make a hole in it very easily. Save it for last.

Are you dropping the engine in from the top? If you, you need the subframe for the motor mounts, it should be there when you drop in the engine. If you are bringing the engine up from below then you have it right as currently listed.

Guest Anonymous

Good advice there IMO. Leave the rad out till the end. Go from the bottom if possible with the subframe attached.

If going from the top, motor suspended above with the subframe out probably is going to make it easier to get the engine into the engine bay. It can be done with the subframe in. This is the only way I have done it, with and without the tranny attached. Just be careful around the firewall and the center link.

Your order looks pretty good. Alternator can be on or off. FWIW - I don't believe I have ever had it off for several removals/installs.

Definately do the brake stuff before installing the motor.

Guest Anonymous

I have not done this but here is a thought - attach the subframe to the motor after the motor is in the engine bay, then attach the subframe to the car.