• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bizzare new problem... please help

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

took a hard left hand turn today, and the engine started to ping a lot and poured blue/grey smoke out the tailpipe, like i'd poured a quart of oil in the carb or something. straightened out and merged on freeway, and problem immediately dissapeared. can duplicate now, just have to turn left real hard. i am really perplexed.

Guest Anonymous

don't make hard lefts!! :)

almost sounds like oil starvation... how hard of a hard left are we talking about?

I agree with previous post. there may be a leak - perhaps some seals where oil is getting into or out of..

check your oil level. I know it's a long shot but maybe you are leaking significant amounts of oil into the exhaust manifold (which would burn out as heavy smoke). If enough oil is getting out you would have momentary pinging from starvation - but this would have to be pretty severe!

Guest Anonymous

i like that one, i'll check it out. the car does lose brake fluid at a very slow rate normally anyhow. i've looked all over the brake system without finding a problem. would that mean i need to replace the booster, or the m/c?

Guest Anonymous

Usually, you won't see any other signs of leaking because it goes directly into the booster from the MC. You might be able to recreate it by jacking the car up from the right side and running the engine. If its a really slow leak, it might take a while for it to build back up again after burning some.

Guest Anonymous

siglogobar.jpg

You can pull the master cylinder away from the booster to check for leakage without removing the hard brake lines.Its only two 13mm nuts.

If you see fluid in there or on the backside of the m/c....replace it. (maybe its a good excuse to do big brakes and install a tii m/c) ;-)

It would be a good idea to suck all the excess brake fluid out of the booster with a turky baster attached to some clear tubing too.

Losing all brakes when that thing decides to go is more excitement than you probably want.

HTH

Brian C