• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10B18 modding

Shifty1426

Hi Guys,

i don't have 2002 but i have E30 with M10 swaped in it, and i think that there will be most informated guys about this engine. Would way will be best to reach 150-180hp? Some day i would like to stroke that engine with M10B20 crank (but it only dream it's very hard to find this components in our country). For now i thinking about 3 ways:

Carb weber or some bike carb like mikuni or keihin

ITB's 

Turbo

I don't know with way will be best for this engine. I want something with best power/fuel consumption ratio :D. I would like to make vintage race style so carb or itb will be better, but if think that turbo will be more effective. How big is differnce? Thank  you guys for your help.

PS: I'm from czech republic so sorry for my english :D

E30 M10B18 ---- actually dead but i hope that someday fun week car :D

180 hp is going to cost more than a pretty penny. I guess around 10000 euros. Are you ok with that? And that fantasy of a 2002 crank, you can buy one on German eBay and have it delivered at your door for the price of a set of rockers...

Because you can drop in a m20 for a third of that, and that will give you 170 hp and twice the torque.

I know that it will be expensive. Many thinks i can do myself, and don't think that will cost that much. First i need to buy another engine and rebuild that with new parts. I find that i need crank and pistons (rod also??) from B20 and it gave me 2,0litre and 8:1 comp, is that wright? It will be good for turbo. What i need to change buy for turbo project?

Engine: ARP studs, metal head seal, crank B20, pistons B20 and complete rebuild and celaning piston rings a nd valve seals if it will be necessary anything else? Will getrag and stock clutch handle that power?

Engine bay: Turbo, intercooler, piping, bow, wastegate (if it's not in turbo), custom ecu (i think that stock will be good max. for 170hp), turbo headers, bigger injectors? anything else?

Yeah i know M20 will be much easier, but i like M10 engines and i want to make some nice 4 banger :D . Also with M10 in it, it have better handling.

PS: I don't need 180hp at first. 150hp will be still good. So maybe turbo it with stock ecu with small boost (like 0,5-0,6 bar) and than change successively other parts.

E30 M10B18 ---- actually dead but i hope that someday fun week car :D