• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E30 driveline going crazy

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

okay...I went on a trip today that lasted about an hour each way. On the way there, nothing odd or out of the ordinary happened. At the start of my return trip however, the car acted quite strangely: when I backed out of my friends driveway (a little bit of a hill when backing out, but not much) the car shuddered intermittently, seeming like it wasn't getting enough air or fuel or something...Whatever it was it wasn't constant: I'd go a few feet then *cachunk*. A few more feet more then *cachunk cachunk* (use your imagination hehe). Then I get outta the driveway, put it in 1st an the "jerking" continued...then at a few points it acted as though the clutch was slipping (engine revving but car hardly accelerating) along with the jerking. The jerking only seemed to happen in 1st 2nd and a little in 3rd. Once I got going in 4th around 40 or something it'd be fine. The car would continue to do this stuttering/jerking whenever I started from a stand-still until I got to the highway...about 2 miles. The car was fine just cruising on the highway. I made it home, but right when I got off the highway, I was expecting more of the awkward jerking but there was no evidence of it at all...it just sorta fixed itself. I checked the haynes manual and...well I'm open for suggestions. Ah yes--the clutch is also fairly worn. It engages near the end of the clutch pedal travel, right before I take my foot off. I'm thinking maybe...worn clutch combined with maybe worn/loose transmission mounts. Might allow the worn clutch to move juuuust far enough away from the engine to not get complete contact. Would this be the "grabbing/chattering" that haynes mentions in their manual? (for possible causes they list: Oil on clutch plate lining, burned or glazed facings--Worn or loose engine or transmission mounts--Worn splines on clutch plate hub--Warped pressure plate or flywheel)

Thanks!