• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wastegate question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

wastegate.gif

URL: http://www.clarks-garage.com/graphics/wastegate.gif

I got ahold on a 944 wastegate wich looks quite good for my "better" turbo project. Looks like it can flow just alone more that a geo metro exhaust.

I did came across some article about it and i am confused...if you can see the picture, the presurized exhaust comes from the side of the valve, wich if a lot of persure is applied there, will be able to push the valve open. While looking at it, seemed to me that the presurized gas comes from under the valve, like into an engine...

The text that was coming with the picture claims that it should come from the side...i just wan to be sure...

Any tought?? -the picture looks exactly like the valve i got in my hand...jeez, it is big, quite big. The head of the valve is about 1.25 inch.

Pat Allen

Guest Anonymous

You'd always want to fault on the safe side, which in this case would mean opening before you'd want it to instead of after. I know you already know this, but for the sake of conversation, the spring on the vacuum diaphram keeps the valve closed under pressure, and is typically what is adjusted when the boost is changed. All of the gates I've seen work that way. I'm sure other types exist, but the factory setups I've seen are like your 944 setup.

Dan

Guest Anonymous

Pat,

I agree with dang, however most other common wastegates flow the opposite way (your suspicions are correct). However the valve which moves also seats the other way. Ie the valve would move upward to release pressure...sorta like a valve seat in reverse.

Dang is correct as he points out that in case of failure you want the valve to open.

Interesting that the 944 gate works the other way...I suppose it doesn't make much difference..at least I think.

-Bernard