• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine cutting out on sharp turns. HELP.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am stumped.

My 69 2002 has had this problem for a while. I checked the ignition, made sure everything was wired correctly and nothing was shorting out and no wires were frayed. I also bypassed the resistor because I have a blue coil. The problem persisted.

I suspected the carb. Playing with the float level did not help. So I replaced the single barrrel to a Weber 32/36. (It was long overdue anyway.) Same problem.

Now I am suspecting ignition again. I already routed the wires nicely. It never hesitates when going straight all the way to 6500 RPM. I thought maybe I had a short in the ignition switch and something was touching when the steering is turned. But it only cuts out when I take turns hard. It seems to be more related to lateral force rather than steering angle. Ignition is stock. Wires are 7mm Bosch and fairly new. No wires are touching etc. All the connections are tight and no wires are frayed. And it seems to happen on right hand turns much more than left turns.

Any ideas???

TIA

Guest Anonymous

Try the ignition fuse, if you are sure all the ignition wires are tight, clean up fuse contacts, they are mounted in a left to right fitting rather than front to back

Guest Anonymous

your fuel filter, and make sure there aren't any f.filters hiding where a PO put em outta place ie, near tank etc and if so replace them also. If it's when your tank is low it could be crud in the tank, but it usually only happens when low and not full.

just another couple places to check.

Guest Anonymous

Motor mounts are solid.

I have 2 new in-line fuel filters.

Today, on the turkey run, the can ran great, and did not cut out on the turns. But if I turned the car off for a few minutes, it would restart, but then it would completely cut out, for 5-10 seconds then go again. Very strange.

I am going to get my fuel tank cleaned and replace my fuel pump.

I just need to put an M20 in that thing. Fuel injection is the way to go.