• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

progress- slow but its happening

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So- due to poor workmanship on the part of the shop that rebuilt my head in Rhode Island (Mother f....ers) I am completely rebuilding the motor (despite the fact that it only had 10,000 miles on it.) Anyhow I have the head and it looks great thanks to Terry Tinney and Arne! Terry's work looks really good. I also had the crank thrust bearing surface ground as I found that the previous rebuilders ground down the thust bearing to fit. The thrust is a little tight (.0025 or so) but I think fine.

Any way I had hoped that after 3 days the long block would be back in the car- but no. I'll just say this- getting things clean and keeping them clean takes a TON of time. Also just a reminder to those who will be doing this type of stuff soon- Clean and tap all threads- especially on the aluminium stuff. I had a couple of holes that were half full of gunk and when I went to torque the bolts the threads pulled out. helicoil was my freind. This was on the front cover (water pump) which I didn't touch other than a good rinse so I figured it ws fine (as it was when I took it off.)

So I have a bottom end together- as clean as I could make it- which I think was pretty good. All of the measurements checked out although the con rods were closer to or at the loose side of the specs (.0027) I used Deves rings which I was surprised to find were not all the same. The second compression rings had .003 variance in the end gap- so I filed them to fit. This put the end gap at the outside factory spec (.017 I think) but well within the acceptable specs from Deves. The cylinders are in great shape really straight and with a fresh hone.I feels good to know that everything is in good shape down there!

So when its all together I'll have a fresh engine with all new/ rebuilt k-fischer stuff/ ignition and the wideband o2 in place to get it dialed! I won't stop till its dead on!

Thanks to all for keeping things going on the boards- truly invaluable!

Pete in Japan

Guest Anonymous

Not many people are rebuilding cars here. Diposable commodity. (shipped out to less rich asian countries) So its a difficult to find a good automotive machinist. I only needed the thrust surface done and it cost about $45 bucks- not bad at all. However If I needed full line bore and crank work I would have to find a better shop. That is why I had the head work done in the states by someone that is familiar with these heads.

Generally stuff that involves labor such as machine work is reasonably priced. I had some iron pipes fabricated for work (glass blowing pipes) and they rean me exactly the same as the products being mass produced in the states. Oil and beer are expensive but most other stuff is fine or sometimes cheaper.