How does mileage affect LSD lockup rate?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Or does it at all? My dad found one at a junkyard but the o-meter read ~200k. He said both wheels turned forward. I guess my question really is.. is it worth it to swap from a 100k mile-3.90 non-LSD diff to a 200k LSD diff I can get for $20?

hey.. thanks for readin [thumbs-up]

Charley

Guest Anonymous

ryan_phelps.jpg

The Lock-up decreases with wear as long as it's a good quiet diff the worst that can happen is it's too worn and will start to act like an open diff...That being said I bought one with 125k miles and the clutch packs were fine however the bearings were so noisy I had to have it rebuilt ($480)

Ryan

68 02

PS..I am getting ready to rebuild one myself and put 4.11 gears in it.

Guest Anonymous

The same a clutch will die at some point. In fact, the LSD is like a clutch with two discs. They wear out and start to slip more easily until it becomes close to an open diff with 5% or 10% slip factor.

If you do not need it I would be more than happy to buy it and rebuild it for my racecar.

Guest Anonymous

You either need to find a used set of disks and bevel washers or locate a shop with NOS. But I know they still can be sourced if you have go relations...

Guest Anonymous

You _really_ need to know what you're doing. Put the diff on the car check the lockup. Rebuilding should be your last resort and only if you can't find what you want (like Ryan's increased lockup). At $25 it's worth a try as-is.

John N

Guest Anonymous

Once I found (4) lsd on high mileage cars at Pick

and Pull, had my buddy grab the other wheel while

I tried to turn the opposite one, some were loose

some were tight, like turning the steering wheel of

a parked car with fat tires vs having power steering

(best analogy I can come up with)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events