• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does mileage affect LSD lockup rate?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Or does it at all? My dad found one at a junkyard but the o-meter read ~200k. He said both wheels turned forward. I guess my question really is.. is it worth it to swap from a 100k mile-3.90 non-LSD diff to a 200k LSD diff I can get for $20?

hey.. thanks for readin [thumbs-up]

Charley

Guest Anonymous

ryan_phelps.jpg

The Lock-up decreases with wear as long as it's a good quiet diff the worst that can happen is it's too worn and will start to act like an open diff...That being said I bought one with 125k miles and the clutch packs were fine however the bearings were so noisy I had to have it rebuilt ($480)

Ryan

68 02

PS..I am getting ready to rebuild one myself and put 4.11 gears in it.

Guest Anonymous

I would suggest you buy it anyway at $20 it is money in the bank, just look at the price of secondhand units from 2002 suppliers and they are not rebuilt units

Guest Anonymous

The same a clutch will die at some point. In fact, the LSD is like a clutch with two discs. They wear out and start to slip more easily until it becomes close to an open diff with 5% or 10% slip factor.

If you do not need it I would be more than happy to buy it and rebuild it for my racecar.

Guest Anonymous

You either need to find a used set of disks and bevel washers or locate a shop with NOS. But I know they still can be sourced if you have go relations...

Guest Anonymous

You _really_ need to know what you're doing. Put the diff on the car check the lockup. Rebuilding should be your last resort and only if you can't find what you want (like Ryan's increased lockup). At $25 it's worth a try as-is.

John N

Guest Anonymous

Once I found (4) lsd on high mileage cars at Pick

and Pull, had my buddy grab the other wheel while

I tried to turn the opposite one, some were loose

some were tight, like turning the steering wheel of

a parked car with fat tires vs having power steering

(best analogy I can come up with)