• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lug Nuts for E30 Bottlecaps?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi guys,

Just got some E30 14" Bottlecaps to replace some aftermarket MSW wheels put on the car by PO. Is there a special lug nut for these on a '76 02, or will the nuts from the MSW alloys work? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks for your help!

Gavin

'76 Taiga 02

'02 Silver 330i

Guest Anonymous

I have a good supply of OE BMW lugnuts, and they are very nice.

However, the far less expensive lug nuts from wheelsforless.com work fine & I order lots of them for my ITB car. They have pictures on their website.

There's no real magic in getting correct nuts for BMW alloys, they just need to have a 60 deg cone shape with a large enough bearing surface to not gall into the wheel's lug seat.

Aftermarket lug nuts that fit this criteria are usually called "bulge" nuts. I prefer the open style rather than the capped, as there is less chance of trapping debris in the threads during hurried installations (like changing wheels trackside).

Most all street wheels use a 60 degree lug seat.

The most common exception is the "ball" seat found on most (i.e., Golf, Rabbit, etc) VW wheels, which are usually fitted with wheel bolts.

IF you use VW wheels, be certain you know what type of lug hardware you need. A 60 degree lugnut tightened against a ball-shaped seat will be dangerous.