• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Turbo on ebay: BIN 24500. It looks like it's been . .

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

is another matter, and I'm not implying the seller is misrepresenting anything, but when I see dimples like that, and the driver's-side one is more like a Vee, I'm curious as to the cause. To me the dimples indicate some narrowing of the front-section that causes the dimple in the weakest point. It might be from hitting a curb during parking one time (for all I know) that causes the dimpling. The dimples aren't there as factory equipment and I'm always curious about them and what causes them. Driving hard doesn't cause them that I'm aware of and my car doesn't have them (I've been with the car since new). I'm not saying the car has been crashed in front either, but any dimpling there has an explanation, and I'm curious what other possible causes are that you might know of besides driving hard. Actually, the battery-side on is a place I actually lean on checking-out the engine, and it's very flexible but my weight there does not cause a Vee dimple. Sure, it looks like a great Turbo, but it's not new so there are flaws. Why does this car have the dimpling flaws there? One slight tap from an idiot in front during parking? Bottoming out the car exiting a sharp driveway? Enquiring minds wanna know.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

bmw1.jpg

in my '02. I'm not the original owner, but my best friend (and still my closest friend) was so I rode in the car since day one and took him to pick-it up new and rode in it for 16-years with him and 13 without him. The dimple-area is the first thing I look at on an '02. Right, maybe it's a design defect that ultimately causes the dimples, but they aren't factory equipment. Put the front=end between the turn-signals in a vise and tighten away and you could create dimples. Since we don't put our '02s in a vise too often, something causes the effect that I'm unaware of but I am aware of the result. My car isn't perfect or without flaws, but the dimples aren't there.

Guest Anonymous

bss.jpg

your explanation for them? I understand photography, and car photography very well having shot racing, road-tests and salon/concours for Road & Track and many other magazines and books. I understand that lighting can make flaws look worse, but the flaws are there. Read my responses above. I've owned '02s for 31 years, and been annoyed by the dimples for just as long and generally the cause has been some sort of front-end damage in the past (and that can mean anything from a slight dent to wasted) that I've observed. Does that mean you car had front-end damage or is a bucket? Not at all. A healthy discussion of the causes of dimples is what I enjoy, and I've stimulated one. I'm sure you've got little rock-pits in the front air-dam and the front's of the rear-fenders too, as most Turbos have these if driven like they should be. Criticism is healthy.

Guest Anonymous

ebay photos, below the battery there are the tops of three cylinders. To the left of the three cylinder-tops where the chassis meets front-end there is a shadow because there is not only a dimple but an actual crease in the lip where it joins the body. Not just a dimple, but a crease. Passenger side dimple: second from last picture, go right from sturt-bearing top to edge of frame and this side as a dimple, but not a crease. Those areas are not creased or dimpled from the factory. These areas are what I'm talking about and are not correct as the factory built the car.

Guest Anonymous

some more, I'd say that it appears to me as being hit from the left-front enough that the front-end lip where it's spot-welded to the inner-fender/chassis is raised up just south of the dimple enough to cause a shadow and that just where the left-bottom of the battery is closest to the lip the paint is also cracked and flaked-away. I read this as the left-front being pushed slightly to the right causing the dimple, the raised-area and the cracked paint area (from the metal flexing). Totally logical and reasonable observation from the photos you post on ebay. Does that mean your car is worth a nickel less? No. It does mean my observation is probably correct based on past experience.

Guest Anonymous

areas of the car have been repainted? With all the photos you posted on ebay it might have been good to post one of the driver's side of the car. Why are there no photos of the left side of the Turbo?

Guest Anonymous

Sir,

As I have written in my previous post, the car is in the public eye and I have no problem with answering questions and accepting criticism about both myself and the car..... this is very evident in exchanges with other members and their observations. Thanks to several people from both this forum and EBay, this has become a learning experience...... and since my mind is always open, I am thankful for each and everyones help. I, unlike you, have not presented myself as the know all, tell all, about 2002 BMW's...... what I have presented is a fair assesment of a very nice original 1974 BMW 2002 BMW Turbo that I wish to sell. In return, while reviewing comments from this and other forums, I saw a post from you... that flat out stated my car had been hit in the front end and your evidence was these dimples in the front radiator support where they meet the inner fenders. Not a question as to why and how they might have gotten there..... a flat out statement that my car had been hit in the front.... please revisit your original post if you have forgotten excatly what and how it was stated. The problem that I have with your post was the way in which you know "it has been hit in the front" and basically either calling my description of the car a lie or questioning the competance with which I evaluate cars !!!!! The dimples are there..... I'm not saying they are not (never have).... Do I know how and why???.... NO.... but I have heard several logical explainations from what appear to be much smarter people than you.(by the way if you will lift your hood and place your hand closest to the front of the car in the most comfortable position to bend over into the engine bay to work on the car, I believe the mystery dimple syndrome will be answered for both sides of the car)

Even now you insist on belittling the car and continue to imply the car has been hit in the front even after several on this board have sought to explain these dimples. If the front radiator support was damaged enough to deform this in a manner you propose..... the inner fenders would show damage and repair.... they do not.... also the radiator support behind the grilles will show damage and repair.... you cannot see this in pictures and I can, it shows no damage..... but yet you insist I am less than honarable and am either misrepresenting the car or am an idiot.

After a similar negative post from you on the e9coupe.com forum after posting pics of my CSL, I looked at several of your past posts there and found you to be one of the most critical and negative members, showing either your arrogance or ignorance on a regular basis !!!! After your post this morning, I did the same on this board and guess what..... your true colors are everywhere..... please take the time to visit some if not all of your recent and past posts...... you are a very insignificant person who hides behind a computer keyboard and expresess a very baggering opinion. This is only my observation for what it is worth, but please take the time to view this for yourself, the archives are there. This in fact may just be your personality and I don't know you well enough to understand this.... but the real issue here is to accept responsibility for putting forth what might be damaging and misleading information that could influnce someone new to this board (who does not understand what a prick you are) about a car that they want and someone needs to sell.

As I have written before, I am a very honorable person and will have no problem with sending you a ticket to come and evaluate this car..... consider your bluff called..... if the car has sustained significant frontal damage you will be the owner of the car plus whatever the car brings on EBay..... however if the car is proven to be accident free in the front end then you will be asked to produce the equivalent amount to the charity of my choosing !!!! Your link to a pic of an original 2002 does not qualify you as an authority so please recommend someone who will be a fair and impartial judge of the cars structural condition and I will do the same. Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is....do you trust what you think you see to the tune of 45 grand ????? I have been gambling for years.... this is a no brainer....... I know what my cards are... I'm looking at them.... I have a ace high royal Flush.... do you have 5 aces ?????

Be Safe, Jimmy

Guest Anonymous

Well s__t...... you caught me....... the whole left side of the car was destroyed when the Mack truck hit me head on (and of cource I failed to put any pics of the drivers side on Ebay because.... it just is not there)..... oh well.... I almost got rid of the boat anchor......Honey.... hold on, we can't go to Wal Mart just yet !!!! Man, how am I suppose to make a living and feed my twelve kids and make my double wide payments down here in Alabama, if all you BMW guys are this smart !!!!!

Seriously if anyone needs to see any drivers side pics let me know.... this is on a friends website and he failed to include any from the drivers side and I'm not sure if I can ammend the auction to include them.

Be Safe, Jimmy