• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does a VW bug get 160hp and for a 2002.........

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

K, so I was talking to this guy in one of my classes that is from Sweden. He said he has a bug and it has 160hp and I think he said its with a 1.6 litre engine or something. So how does that little air cooled engine get that power? Shouldn't it then be pretty easy to get that power out of our cars??

What sort of engine construction between the two can help one get the HP while the other is harder?

Bryan

red73

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

The new Beetle gets 155hp (they may have bumped it up in the last year or two) from Turbocharged 20 Valve 1.8L.

If you're talking about a classic air cooled boxer-4 it's more like 30-65hp. I've seen tweaked 2.0L VW bus engines built up to 100-120hp, but that's about it for them NA.

Guest Anonymous

160hp from 1.6l is 100hp per liter. That's an all-out race engine, for a NA bug or a 2002. Honda achieves 120hp per liter from the S2000 motor NA, and it revs to 9k+ to achieve it. Through the magic of electronic engine control and variable valve timing, the S2000 put-puts around town and idles like a Civic. That's not possible with a bug or 02 motor at those output levels.

At 100hp per liter, the bug engine probably wouldn't last long. That's for drag racing, and lifetime would probably be measured in minutes.

However 80 hp per liter from a 2002, for 160hp, is achievable with a NA motor that can be reliably driven on the street. It might not have much low end torque, bt a hot cam, high-compression motor that revs to 7500rpm, with all the nifty porting and stuff, should make 160hp. Higher end race-only motors built using the 2002 block and head can exceed 200hp, so I've read.

It's all in the wallet.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

studs pull off, heads need a ton of work, crazy cams and on on on. I had a gene berg spec motor, and it was a good 120hp and reliable enough.

Guest Anonymous

And didn't the Renault R5 have something like 400hp out of a 2 litre motor? It's the whole package- how it's fed and how it exhausts.

High HP is totally do-able. Making it streetable, smogable, and long lived is the fine balance.

Steve J

88 M3 2.3l with 225kmiles on the original motor.