• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02er in desperate need!!! (long, sorry)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey fellow 02 phreaks....Paul (formerly of Maximillian) here. Yep - I'm still alive, driving the wheels off Emily and infusing more and more 2002s into my new job.

Here's the reason for my post. We have a local (Baltimore) 2002 owner, who recently had a COMPLETE and outrageously expensive restoration performed on his 1973 tii - less than one year ago.....and the car was a victim of the Hurricane Isabelle last month. The poor car was under 3 feet of water...including the engine and throttlebody! (the engine seems to have survived through SOME miracle - *whew!*)

I would like to see if we, as fellow owners, and passionate car lovers can get a small fundraiser going for a token bit of the THOUSANDS of dollars needed to restore the car, remove all the salt deposits, and help him KEEP it going. The car LOOKS fine - but is a true mess inside and underneath.

Anyone with advice as to how I can proceed is encouraged to post suggestions here.

The car is currently at my shop (Raspi's British Imports) and we are awaiting response from his insurance Co - which will not even cover HALF of the true cost in repairing and saving this car from the salt still in each and every body cavity as I write.

I know if this had happened to MY car (the infamous Miss Emily) - I would be absolutely devastated.

Any little bit would help - $5, 25, 100....ANYTHING - so we could show our support in helping him save another tii.

I'll ask him how he feels about me posting his name and mailing address before putting it here, but I'd rather see the money go directly to him.

Any ideas as to the safest / easiest way to get this help-fund going without me sounding like a spamming creep are strongly requested!

Thanks to all of you, and sorry for the minor bandwidth consumption. :-)

Paul Wegweiser

73 faux Alpina 02 "Emily"

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

i have sent money to a couple fund raising efforts out here for devastated individuals. The "organizers" set up an account with a local bank with a designated name for the Fund and an address, etc. People were then able to send whatever amount of cash/check to that specific account for the benefit of that individual cause and no hanky panky was possible and contributors felt confident thatthey were sending money to the affected person. . You could establish that , probably for free, if you are friendly with anyone at your bank. Do you want parts donated too? Or does the owner just need the money for the cleaning and refurbishing of the existing parts? I think you are doing a great deed for the person. It should not be too hard to establish the account and then to post the address, account number, etc. That is what I would do- it relieves you of the accounting/ receiving hassle and it avoids any accusations of a scam from some nut. If you have any problems setting up this kind of account, email me and i will contact my local radio station that has done this many times for local people who have needed contributions. Best, and thanks for caring about the guy: I hope he is able to get his tii back to pre disaster condition. - Jay

Guest Anonymous

advice--owner of submerged car should immediately remove the entire interior-seats, door panels, carpet etc and hose the interior out with lots of fresh water--drill holes in the floor so it can drain if necessary, but flush the salt out. Do the same with the spare tire well, remove the trunk floor and gas tank to get that area cleaned out, run a hose into both front frame rails, inside the rear crossmember (it's hollow), inside the front cowl sides (remove carpet from inside) and after removing the grilles, thoroughly hose out the inner nose panel. And don't forget to remove the plugs and hose out the rear shock/spring mounts. While there's bound to be some damage to wiring and low-lying electrics and mechanical stuff from submergence, it shouldn't be any worse on the body than a winter or two of road salt--so long as you get all the blind panels thoroughly rinsed with fresh water and then dried (use an air hose). Good luck...

Mike

Guest Anonymous

...but I'll contribute. As a fellow Baltimoron, I can't imagine what those folks who got flooded out downtown are feeling. And I know that I couldn't possibly rebuild my 2002 with no out-of-pocket even with the agreed value insurance I was able to get for it.

Anyway, let us know where to send some 2002 fellowship.

Tim

'76 2002

'03 Golf (wish it would have floated out in the Chesapeake)

Guest Anonymous

I've got a friend and fellow 02er who's in college and has a full time job. He's slowly restoring his beloved Inka car a bit at a a time. By himself, he's replaced front struts, done all the popular upgrades, even replaced his clutch. I really admire all the work he's put into his car. If something terrible happened to his car I'd be first in line to offer any financial or other type of help that I could. But as much as I really do feel sorry for the 02er in Baltimore I dont think I need to help a guy out who's capable of paying for an "outrageously expensive" pocketbook restoration in the first place. Sorry but that's just how I feel about it.

Guest Anonymous

But it's not like the guy bought a new M3, went way too fast through a corner, and ended up fitting his car around a tree. I think it's fair to lay this kind of story on sympathetic ears - you certainly stick your neck out when restoring a car like an 02 because it's NEVER, EVER worth what you've put into it, unlike some other collector cars. Plus, if you had seen this car, you might fully appreciate this sort of appeal.

Marty

'73 2002 looks like it's been through a bunch of hurricanes

'03 MCS parked far, far away from trees and water

Balto, MD

Guest Anonymous

I would suggest a wrenching party. Have the owner place his needs list(and no, an un-cracked dash can not be one of the items)and see what others can provide. A pair of carpet mats here, a relay there...it could all help. We all have a few items that we keep as spares. I know I could look through my boxes and find something to donate.

Some of the locals may be able to help. Sausages and beer is a cheap way to pay for labor. Sounds like this owner need to get involved in the FAQ neighborhood.